Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Oratex over polyfiber

Default Re: Oratex over polyfiber

Quote Originally Posted by jiott View Post
    ... If there are clear liquids that can filter out all UV, I wonder why Polyfiber doesn't use something like that instead of 6 coats of silver Polyspray? ...
    Those products have to be periodically re-applied, but I just mentioned it to note that there are other ways to block UV than silver paint. The 303 Aerospace Protectant would also basically eliminate the possibility of any paint being applied afterwards... it is very slippery and really gets into the surface.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

after receiving some sample fabric (silver) I also will most probably go with Oratex...
    Maybe interesting read for some of you: https://www.lanitz-aviation.com/certificates.html
    Marc
    rebuilding IV-1200
    `Kitfox fifty`

Oratex for sure. Once it's applied you're DONE. The Poly-Fiber system your not even half way there.

Nope First you brush on poly brush and stink up the place with toxic MEK,
    then Spray on a few coats of poly bush (more stink, more MEK)
    than spray a few coats of poly UV blocker (Yup more stink and MEK poisoning)
    wet sand
    Spray more UV blocker, (more MEK.... And by now your loathing the clean up process... which uses yup MEK the toxic stuff that will kill you)
    wet sand
    repeat the above a few more times..... and wonder to yourself why all the grass and animals are dying around your painting area..
    wet sand
    coat of colour. (you no longer have finger prints left as they have been melted off by the MEK)
    wet sand
    another coat of colour,
    wet sand polish
    Final coat of Colour (By now you have killed half your brain cells, and made yourself to retarded to fly... thanks to the MEK)
    wet sand
    realize you just spent WEEKS painting and sanding, And swear next time your switching to Oratex
    Last edited by 4Hummer; 01-14-2021 at 12:29 AM.

WoW!!!! I didn't realize at the time of posting this thread it would drum up some pretty good response! Thx everyone for their two bits worth and some really good points made by everyone!! The last comment by 4Hummer made go back into memory lane(1994) the last time I did the poly fiber system and yes it is a toxic and sticky process that no doubt affects the human body in one way or the other. Also when i did the poly fiber I remember the most stupid mistake I made. I chose ( lack of knowledge) after doing a pretty good job up to the poly spray, not to use a paint booth and instead pick a day that was good conditions weather wise. WRONG!! My point is all the work messed up by a terrible paint job. So I'm definitely seeing the benefits of Oratex and yes Alexm, I do wonder if the end cost is that much more not to mention the time it saves! Oh forgot, our time is not worth anything!haha. Love that idea of putting a sample piece of Oratex out in the extremes of mother nature and put it to the test. Like you said, 6 years is probably equivalent to at least 20 years of a real life scenario of a typical kitfox! Well, back to the books and you tube for more education on a new cover system for me. Wished I was near Fairbanks for that course!

Freedom2

I've seen multiple references to the Better Fabric book and the training class but I've been all over their website and don't see either one mentioned. I would buy that book in a heartbeat and jump at the chance for the 3 day course before I start covering.

I would appreciate any links or direction for those resources.

Regarding the 20-30 year life span of the conventional polyester fabric systems (like Polyfiber): As an owner of a '65 Citabria last covered in '87 I'm a strong believer in keeping fabric planes in a hangar. I can embrace the fact that the fabric can make it 30 years outside (many A&Ps will tell you that punch testing polyester fabric isn't a valid test since it will always pass).

But never mind the UV damage - It's the water ingress that bothers me. "Traditional" rag and tube planes tend to have lots of places for water to get in. Around the fuel fillers, tail access covers, penetrations for antennas and lights, boot cowl, windshield. The wing joint seems like an afterthought hastily covered with ill fitting sheet metal. For the Kitfox you can add the turtle deck hinge and that folding wing joint.

Water always follows Civil Engineering Rule #1 (s*** goes down hill) so a plane left parked outside will have standing water attacking the lower fuselage longerons, pooling around wood pieces, creeping into all those fastener joints where we have dissimilar metals.

Sure my Citabria has lots of grommets but that really just assures that the plane doesn't form a 20 gallon udder after a heavy storm. I'm not afraid to fly my plane in the rain or park it outside for a day or two while I'm on a XC trip but leaving it tied down outside makes me cringe.
    Kitfox 5 (under construction)
    Commercial SE/ME, CFII

I used Oratex on my SuperSTOL and would do it again in a heartbeat.

This alone sold me on Oratex...

When I think of Poly Fiber I think Hindenburg. Fire is my worst nightmare in flight. So, I love that Oratex is self extinguishing or at least close. If Poly Fiber catches fire you're in trouble. In any case, I have a chance of surviving a fire in flight with Oratex.

Another factor was the toughness.

You can't do this with Poly Fiber...

Check out all the other advantages of this stuff...

https://betteraircraftfabric.com/advantages.html

YMMV,

Clark

Call them up in Anchorage at Better Aircraft fabric and ask about the book, usually it giving out with THEIR sale of the fabric to THEIR customers. The Class was offererd to me cause i bought fabric and had no experience and they was try to promote the fabric some more in Fairbanks that was in 2017.
    If this site was easier for a none computer guy to use to post pic id show u guys some pic of the installs ive done, the aftermath of the Oratex from the 30x50 steel hanger roof that squashed the 47 pa12 and 4 of our hotrods/muscle cars, with 1hr of flyin time on new build, bent it like u cant even dream up, totally unbeliveable if u cn it, and there was only 1 rip in the fabric on the whole plane. First time ive ever cn my 82yr old Dad cry in my 50yrs, and i did lots mysef.
    Soooooo here i am again rebuilding the rebuild.

Quote Originally Posted by Clark in AZ View Post

When I think of Poly Fiber I think Hindenburg. Fire is my worst nightmare in flight. So, I love that Oratex is self extinguishing or at least close. If Poly Fiber catches fire you're in trouble. In any case, I have a chance of surviving a fire in flight with Oratex.
    Lets stick with true facts...Polyfiber does not burn. That video was likely nitrate or butyrate dope.
    John Brannen
    Morris, IL
    Sonerai IIL (Single Seat)
    Kitfox 3/4 1050 - Rotax 582 (Back Flying and sold)
    Kitfox IV 1050 - Rotax 582 (sold)
    Kitfox IV 1200 Speedster - Rotax 912 UL (project)
    Piper Twin Comanche (Sold)
    Glasair 1 FT (Waiting to start)

Quote Originally Posted by 109JB View Post
    Lets stick with true facts...Polyfiber does not burn. That video was likely nitrate or butyrate dope.
    I'm 100% with you.

And if we look at the PolyFiber manual, they say there is no dope in Polyfiber.
    Why do people still call it dope? Tough to get the old vocabulary out of the way.

Can you even buy dope these days?
    Another question. If you cover with Oratex, can you reinforce tape and rib lace?
    Completed my Classic 4, May 2003. It had std wings. speedster tail.
    912 UL Rotax. Sold to a person in Spain.

Completed a Skybolt December 2018

As far as rib stitching and reinforcing tape, yes. Depending on what aircraft you're covering, it may not be required.

Rick