Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tablet

Default Tablet

What brand tablets are you using in your plane? I have been using an I-pad mini but it does get hot and shuts down more often that I like. I am using Foreflight on this i-pad and also Garmin Pilot, I am becoming a fan of Garmin Pilot the more I use it.

Default Re: Tablet

I use a Samsung 10" tablet with IFlyGPS. No heat issues.

iPad Pro 9.7" (about 2 years old) with Garmin Pilot, which I love. I snap it into a holder on the instrument panel. I have not had overheating issues other than direct sunlight one time and I put my overhead sun shade up then which solved the problem.

Any tablet needs to have a fast processor. You need enough memory for the the app and all of the charts you want onboard, then double that so it has room to downloading then next set of updates. They need to be kept out of direct sunlight too, laying on seats isn't a good choice.
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016

I use a Samsung 10" tablet with IFlyGPS. No heat issues.

So why a tablet and not the I-fly 740 hard shell from them?

I had the tablet, which is much cheaper than the 740b. For me it is more flexible. I downloaded both the Garmin program and IFlyGPS to evaluate both. Didn't care for the Garmin as much. I believe it wouldn't talk to my Stratux, among other things.

I ran the iFly software on my android phone and tablet for a year or so, and ran Garmin Pilot also. As with another user here, I didn't care for the Garmin application. Since I also like to take pictures when I'm flying I eventually got tired of multi tasking with a single device and then having a dead phone before the end of the day.

I found an iFly 700 on Barnstormers and it showed up on my doorstep the same day that iFly offered a screaming trade in deal for a brand new 740b, so I never even put power to the 700. The 740b has a great screen for bright sunlight (much better than my phone or tablet). If I'm honest it is otherwise a clunky device which requires very deliberate screen touches (they say it is on purpose) and some screen lag, but has otherwise been completely reliable.

I do love the flight planning interface which is super intuitive to me (I've read polarized opinions on that, so buyer beware).

My Stratus ESGi sends traffic data to the iFly reliably.
    Kitfox 5 (under construction)
    Commercial SE/ME, CFII

I like ForeFlight on iPad mini. I have tried several android tablets, and there are useable apps for sure
    but nothing is even close to being in the same league with ForeFlight. Wish they would port it to Android

Probably my favorite on Android was Avare because it is free, but iFly GPS is probably better ...

Jeff

Thank you for all the information on the choices you have made and why.

I run FlyQ on my iPad Mini, but the iFly 740 that I have on the panel is also able to feed/drive my TruTrak autopilot for flight plans, etc. You can't do that with an iPad or other tablets. Both devices display traffic and weather simultaneously from my uAvionix ADS-B unit.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

Just as a follow up for uAvionix/Foreflight. There is a rather maddening Apple "feature" where
    the devices incessantly hunt for and connect to networks. So they will connect to ground based
    wifi, and drop the connection to the ADSB this shows up as "ADS-B Disconnected"

The solution from Foreflight I was given, was to run the Apple device in "Airplane Mode" and then
    connect to the wifi. This is supposed to turn off the hunting.

They may have fixed it by now.

I have noticed there is a direct relationship between sunlight and iPad overheating in flight
    if it's in direct sun, there a good chance it may overheat. The solution I use is to move it out of the
    sun, like to my kneeboard, etc.

Jeff