Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser CPS Parts EarthX Batteries
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 24

Thread: Tablet

  1. #11
    Administrator DesertFox4's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    3,260

    Default Re: Tablet

    The solution from Foreflight I was given, was to run the Apple device in "Airplane Mode" and then
    connect to the wifi. This is supposed to turn off the hunting.
    Jeff, Thanks for posting this. I have this happen often while over Phoenix. I'll give it a try.


    DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear


  2. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Location
    Toledo, WA
    Posts
    346

    Default Re: Tablet

    If you're willing to do a little setup shenanigans, you can eliminate this problem in Apple devices. Unlike Windows computers, iOS doesn't allow users to see or edit the list of Wi-Fi networks that it has connected to in the past, nor can you globally turn off automatically joining known networks. You can, however, completely reset the list of known networks, so it won't try to join the Wi-Fi at every McDonalds or Starbucks you fly over.

    Here's how:

    1. Be sure you know the SSID and password for the WiFi network(s) you want the device to connect to (home and office Wi-Fi, EFIS, ADS-B unit, etc.), as you'll need to reenter them later.

    2. Go to Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings to delete the list of known networks.

    3. Go to Settings > Wi-Fi and scroll to the bottom. Ensure that "Ask to Join Networks" is turned off.

    4. Still in Settings > Wi-Fi, reconnect to your desired Wi-Fi network. You'll need to reestablish the connection to each network you use regularly.


    There are two ways to prevent this problem from reoccurring, and both require some diligence to remember, as both must be done while the network is within range of the device.

    Method 1: Change the setting for automatic connection. In Settings > Wi-Fi, find the network you want to prevent from connecting automatically in the list of available networks. Tap the blue "i" in a circle to the right of the network name. Turn "Auto-join" off. This method preserves any password that's required to join the network, but stops automatic connection.

    Method 2: Make the device forget the network. In Settings > Wi-Fi, find the network you want to forget (probably the one your device is connected to, at the top, with a blue check-mark to the left). Tap the blue "i" in a circle to the right of the network name. Tap "Forget This Network." This method deletes the network from memory entirely.
    Eric Page
    Building Kitfox 5 Safari
    Member: EAA, AOPA, ALPA
    ATP: MEL / Comm: SEL, Glider / ATCS: CTO
    Map of Landings

  3. #13

    Join Date
    May 2020
    Location
    Heber City, UT
    Posts
    18

    Default Re: Tablet

    Ok, being the discussion has turned to WiFi I have a question.

    I control my Go Pro via itís WiFi, but I also use WiFi to get info from my Sentry for ForeFlight. Here is the problem, canít do both at the same time. Any suggestions?
    Revo Sunglasses Ambassador

  4. #14
    Super Moderator desertdave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Location
    Scottsdale AZ
    Posts
    146

    Default Re: Tablet

    Quote Originally Posted by Utah-Jay View Post
    Ok, being the discussion has turned to WiFi I have a question.

    I control my Go Pro via itís WiFi, but I also use WiFi to get info from my Sentry for ForeFlight. Here is the problem, canít do both at the same time. Any suggestions?
    I use my phone to control the GoPro and my iPad for ADSB via Foreflight. You can't use one to control both.
    Dave
    KitFox 6 Taildragger
    912 ULS
    IVO IFA Medium Prop
    Proudly rocking round dial gauges
    Follow my adventures
    IG @szmulewicz

  5. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    KDKB (Dekalb, Illinois)
    Posts
    606

    Default Re: Tablet

    Hey Eric, thanks for this post.

    As I understand it - Apple Location Services uses it, and despite turning off wifi that simply makes it not
    grab an ip, etc. BUT it is still connecting to networks. So you may be able to make it stick to a network
    you cannot make it stop continuously connecting to others.

    So while wifi is turned off, or setting are cleared, it's not really turned off. The one setting that is
    supposed to stop this madness is 'airplane mode'

    I am not an expert by any means, but I have had ongoing problems with both my iphone, and ipad with
    uAvionix ADS-B and I opened trouble calls with both Foreflight, and uAvionix - Both of which blamed
    Apple and their way location services works.

    I flew with Avare, and iFly GPS on Android, and experienced none of the disconnects, which led me to
    start opening support calls for the Apple devices.

    Jeff

    About privacy and Location Services in iOS and iPadOS - Apple Support



    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Page View Post
    If you're willing to do a little setup shenanigans, you can eliminate this problem in Apple devices. Unlike Windows computers, iOS doesn't allow users to see or edit the list of Wi-Fi networks that it has connected to in the past, nor can you globally turn off automatically joining known networks. You can, however, completely reset the list of known networks, so it won't try to join the Wi-Fi at every McDonalds or Starbucks you fly over.

    Here's how:

    1. Be sure you know the SSID and password for the WiFi network(s) you want the device to connect to (home and office Wi-Fi, EFIS, ADS-B unit, etc.), as you'll need to reenter them later.

    2. Go to Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings to delete the list of known networks.

    3. Go to Settings > Wi-Fi and scroll to the bottom. Ensure that "Ask to Join Networks" is turned off.

    4. Still in Settings > Wi-Fi, reconnect to your desired Wi-Fi network. You'll need to reestablish the connection to each network you use regularly.


    There are two ways to prevent this problem from reoccurring, and both require some diligence to remember, as both must be done while the network is within range of the device.

    Method 1: Change the setting for automatic connection. In Settings > Wi-Fi, find the network you want to prevent from connecting automatically in the list of available networks. Tap the blue "i" in a circle to the right of the network name. Turn "Auto-join" off. This method preserves any password that's required to join the network, but stops automatic connection.

    Method 2: Make the device forget the network. In Settings > Wi-Fi, find the network you want to forget (probably the one your device is connected to, at the top, with a blue check-mark to the left). Tap the blue "i" in a circle to the right of the network name. Tap "Forget This Network." This method deletes the network from memory entirely.

  6. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Location
    Toledo, WA
    Posts
    346

    Default Re: Tablet

    Don't quote me on this -- I don't own a GoPro -- but a little searching online suggests that some GoPro models can be controlled using the GoPro app via Bluetooth instead of Wi-Fi...
    Eric Page
    Building Kitfox 5 Safari
    Member: EAA, AOPA, ALPA
    ATP: MEL / Comm: SEL, Glider / ATCS: CTO
    Map of Landings

  7. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    KDKB (Dekalb, Illinois)
    Posts
    606

    Default Re: Tablet

    I'm talking about uAvionix ADS-B with Foreflight, not GoPro

  8. #18
    Senior Member jrevens's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Arvada, CO
    Posts
    1,841

    Default Re: Tablet

    Iíve never noticed that problem with FlyQ (Seattle Avionics) on my iPad and uAvionix ADS-B. The uAvionics Echo feeds weather and traffic to both my iPad and my iFly 740 simultaneously without any apparent problem. Is it possibly a ForeFlight issue? GoPro uses Bluetooth & WiFi. I use Bluetooth to control it with my phone. The latest app defaults to Bluetooth for that.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE

  9. #19

    Join Date
    May 2020
    Location
    Heber City, UT
    Posts
    18

    Default Re: Tablet

    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Page View Post
    Don't quote me on this -- I don't own a GoPro -- but a little searching online suggests that some GoPro models can be controlled using the GoPro app via Bluetooth instead of Wi-Fi...
    Thanks, I have the app and once the Sentry connected the go pro was disconnected. I will investigate the Bluetooth/GoPro thing tho.

    Thanks
    Revo Sunglasses Ambassador

  10. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    KDKB (Dekalb, Illinois)
    Posts
    606

    Default Re: Tablet

    I did read that Foreflight had made some code changes, but both Foreflight and uAvionix pointed at
    Apple when I opened support ticket. In any case, it was a known issue. This was almost a year ago now.
    There is probably a workaround in code for it.

    I used to run a homebrew Stratux and the uAvionix at the same time, and link my iphone or ipad
    to the Stratux. However that has it's own set of problems (like not seeing towers) so lately I only
    connect to the uAvionix. I haven't had the problem as much as I used to so I suspect they have made
    some changes (Foreflight that is)

    Quote Originally Posted by jrevens View Post
    Iíve never noticed that problem with FlyQ (Seattle Avionics) on my iPad and uAvionix ADS-B. The uAvionics Echo feeds weather and traffic to both my iPad and my iFly 740 simultaneously without any apparent problem. Is it possibly a ForeFlight issue? GoPro uses Bluetooth & WiFi. I use Bluetooth to control it with my phone. The latest app defaults to Bluetooth for that.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •