Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Tablet

Default Re: Tablet

I run a 8" Samsung tablet with Naviator. It's has only ever had one overheating issue, and it was because I left it on the glare shield. Subscription runs me about $35/year, and has been great. It's not Foreflight, but for VFR flying, it's just fine.
    Mike
    Building the JaMFox N677JM
    Kitfox 5 Vixen
    KRNM

The response from this group is always impressive. It is informative to hear what apps folks are using in their planes for nav. I have played with a few over the years and sometimes get caught up it the next new apps, not sure why as I am a vfr guy and generally fly with in 200 miles of my home field. I do like trying new things just for the fun factor. The most intuitive app for me has been I-fly by Adventure Pilot for sure, if you have not tried it you can down load this on any tablet or purchase their hardware. As John stated their hardware will run an AP but there are more updates and features if I-fly is on a tablet. I have used Foreflight and it is loaded with a lot of goodies and has a good following with many users. While at Airventure a couple years back looking at different glass panels for my plane I chose the GarminG3X., since then I have been using Garmin Pilot app as it will upload to the G3X for flight planning, like any new tool there is a learning curve with their app. So I plan on a tablet that will run Garmin Pilot and I-fly along with the G3X, this might be overkill but I do like the different options in my flight bag. As for the tablet I am currently using an mini I-pad 4, I am looking into the screen quality and brightness of android tablets. My I-pad does seem to be sensitive to the heat issue.
    Thanks for all the feed back.

For Android, Avare is actually a pretty decent App, and it is free. it works fine with uAvionix as well, and
    while it's not totally intuitive how to use all the functions it does the job. It also has geo referenced
    approach plates so if you want to go out and fly mock approached in your Kitfox you can do it.

FltPlan Go is also free, and while it's a bit clunky, it works pretty well.

Best of all - It's free.

I still like Foreflight better than anything else, and even bought an ipad so I could switch. The
    more I use it the more I like it. I use the logbook functionality in it a lot. Plus keep all my
    service doc pdf's in it. Track logs from lights, images, etc. As well the ability to automagically
    sync between devices, and the web based services for planning and weather (and logbook)
    are really good. (if you hear this Boeing ... I'll put a sticker on my plane for small fee ....)

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by Flybyjim View Post
    The response from this group is always impressive. It is informative to hear what apps folks are using in their planes for nav. I have played with a few over the years and sometimes get caught up it the next new apps, not sure why as I am a vfr guy and generally fly with in 200 miles of my home field. I do like trying new things just for the fun factor. The most intuitive app for me has been I-fly by Adventure Pilot for sure, if you have not tried it you can down load this on any tablet or purchase their hardware. As John stated their hardware will run an AP but there are more updates and features if I-fly is on a tablet. I have used Foreflight and it is loaded with a lot of goodies and has a good following with many users. While at Airventure a couple years back looking at different glass panels for my plane I chose the GarminG3X., since then I have been using Garmin Pilot app as it will upload to the G3X for flight planning, like any new tool there is a learning curve with their app. So I plan on a tablet that will run Garmin Pilot and I-fly along with the G3X, this might be overkill but I do like the different options in my flight bag. As for the tablet I am currently using an mini I-pad 4, I am looking into the screen quality and brightness of android tablets. My I-pad does seem to be sensitive to the heat issue.
    Thanks for all the feed back.
    Jim

Foreflight will upload flight plans to your G3x via the connect. As long as you have the iPad Bluetooth connected to the G3x you can upload in one step.