Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Airworthiness Certification

Default Airworthiness Certification

Has anyone gone through the certification in the last month? I completed my Kitfox last month and contacted the DAR that I have been talking with over the last few years and he said that the FAA has changed the process recently. He has just started trying to find out how to navigate this new process. His FAA contact has informed him that the builder is supposed to go online and digitally fill out 8130-6. I can find the PDF but not the digital form. Any help would be appreciated.
    Mike Kahle
    Jackson, MO
    IV Classic 582
    RV-12is building

Default Re: Airworthiness Certification

Quote Originally Posted by avidflyer View Post
    That is the PDF form that I can print off, but I can’t find a way to fill out this form digitally on the FAA website as suggested by my DAR.
    Mike Kahle
    Jackson, MO
    IV Classic 582
    RV-12is building

You have to use the AWC portal now. Google and it will come up. You can no longer fill out the paper and hand it to someone.

You will likely have more questions as you step through the portal about how to answer some of the questions.

I think you go here to start the aircraft certification process
    https://awc.faa.gov/AWCExternalApplicant/Splash/Index

I think you go here to request repairman's certificate for the airplane after it has been certified
    https://iacra.faa.gov/IACRA/default.aspx

The EAA used to have a step-by-step certification guide but, I think they have taken it off line. At least, I haven't been able to find it online anymore. I bought it last fall but it was so out of date that I didn't get much benefit from it. It was quite a task to complete all the online forms and database navigation for both of the above processes.

Hope this helps some.
    Fred
    EAA, AOPA
    KF5 (N49FK & N36KJ)
    Phoenix, AZ

Quote Originally Posted by Maverick View Post
    I think you go here to start the aircraft certification process
    https://awc.faa.gov/AWCExternalApplicant/Splash/Index

I think you go here to request repairman's certificate for the airplane after it has been certified
    https://iacra.faa.gov/IACRA/default.aspx

The EAA used to have a step-by-step certification guide but, I think they have taken it off line. At least, I haven't been able to find it online anymore. I bought it last fall but it was so out of date that I didn't get much benefit from it. It was quite a task to complete all the online forms and database navigation for both of the above processes.

Hope this helps some.
    Fred
    I ended up calling EAA and they have a new document that they emailed me laying out the step by step process. It is the new FAA procedure filling out the documents on line. With out authorization from EAA, I hesitate to post it here. Please call them to help when you get to that step.
    Mike Kahle
    Jackson, MO
    IV Classic 582
    RV-12is building

I got my AWC two months ago. I like the process and the online portal. My local FSDO reviewed everything ahead of time, and checked it for any problems. That way when the DAR came out, we knew ahead of time the paperwork piece was good to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Meyer View Post
    I got my AWC two months ago. I like the process and the online portal. My local FSDO reviewed everything ahead of time, and checked it for any problems. That way when the DAR came out, we knew ahead of time the paperwork piece was good to go.

I think this points out how things can be completely different from FSDO to FSDO. I got my airworthiness cert in Oct of 2019. Before my inspection, the DAR had me fill out everything so he could look them over and correct any issues. At the inspection, he electronically uploaded everything to the FAA and printed me off the airworthiness certificate with his portable printer right then and there. Just a warning, the FAA is way behind on processing and the airworthiness certification took four full months to show up on registry.faa.gov.

As a side note, I did not realize the importance of getting a DAR who works out of the FSDO where your home base airport for phase 1 testing will take place. My DAR was not able to do the repairman certificate and passed me off to the local FSDO for this. I *think* had he been based in the local FSDO, he could have done that for me at the same time. My local FSDO is horribly overworked and understaffed at the moment, I am guessing others are in the same boat.

A DAR cannot issue a repairman certificate. The FSDO does that.
    John Brannen
    Morris, IL
    Sonerai IIL (Single Seat)
    Kitfox 3/4 1050 - Rotax 582 (Back Flying and sold)
    Kitfox IV 1050 - Rotax 582 (sold)
    Kitfox IV 1200 Speedster - Rotax 912 UL (project)
    Piper Twin Comanche (Sold)
    Glasair 1 FT (Waiting to start)

Quote Originally Posted by 109JB View Post
    A DAR cannot issue a repairman certificate. The FSDO does that.
    I did not know that, thanks for clarifying!