Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Over thinking the heater fan

Default Re: Over thinking the heater fan

Well I flew my Kitfox for 1.4 hrs today, it was about 30 above F. My right foot got plenty warm. Got feeling around for drafts and there is lots of air coming under the passenger side door. Will address sealing up things next. JImChuk

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Page View Post
    Hard to say without knowing the voltage rating of your fans, and their history. If they're 12V fans, and if they've already had a hard life in whatever PCs they were salvaged from, then I would be inclined to replace them with whatever @Delta Whisky came up with. If those are relatively high pressure fans, you may only need two to accomplish your "high/low" setup. Or if, as you said, you don't mind replacing them, then press on!

Don't forget that once a plenum and ducting are in place, you may lose significant air as backflow through the idle fan when you only run one, and that heat will be directed under the glare shield with your avionics. It would be healthier for your screens and other gear to make your "low" setting operate all fans at half speed. This will expel all of the heat to the cabin and only offer suction behind the panel.

They are 12v and new, just never used. They do move some air. I like your idea to operate all fans at half speed on "low". I do have an Aluminum shut off valve that can be adjusted as well. That resistor is looking like it could get more use than I initially thought. Thanks!
    Somebody said that carrier pilots were the best in the world, and they must be or there wouldn't be any of them left alive. — Ernie Pyle

Brett Butler
    Flying: 1998 Model 5 Outback, 912ul Zipper 110hp, G3x avionics, ss7 upgrades

I was looking at my heater instructions and there is an issue with the instructions and the parts supplied. Instructions state -use the supplied SPST switch but my switch is a DPDT with a off, L and H on the switch. There is no mention about hooking up the fans so one runs on low and both on high, anyone else have this switch. Seems like a good option but the instructions do not address this switch or fans.

Jim, I have the DPDT switch for my fans. That switch came from Kitfox Aircraft and is listed in their parts catalog on page 17.
    It runs one fan on low ( on my Kitfox I wired the left fan for low) and both on high. Now during my build, I was testing the fan operation and somehow dropped a tiny screwdriver through the pilot side fan and instantly removed a fan blade rendering that fan in-op.
    Went looking for a replacement at a big electronic store with damaged fan in hand and with store help quickly found a replacement. The new one was of course 12 volts and dimensionally had the same “footprint” as the damaged fan but was not the same thickness. I used some weatherstripping to raise the new fan to the same height as original.
    The replacement fan did not quite put out the same flow volume but as it happens, it was perfect on the low speed setting when I just need that little bit of heat to make the cockpit comfy and don’t want to melt my tennis shoes.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

Glad to hear these work this way with the switch.
    Thx