Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Empty weights on various models and engine combinations

Default Re: Empty weights on various models and engine combinations

Kitfox Classic IV, Subaru EA81, steam gauges, stock gear legs & Matco wheels/brakes, polyfiber fabric with PPG polyurethane pant, EW 792.5
    DSC_6497.jpg
    Scot Trueblood
    Bonita Springs, FL

Kitfox IV in Phase 1 Flight Testing

Super sport 7, Rotax 912is Sport, Whirlwind, Oratex, 10 inch Dynon Skyview, Aeroled lights, Ack elt, 8.5 x 6.00 Dessert Aero Classic tires. Aluminun Grove gear, faired wing struts (not the new streamlined ones), Rust-oleum cherry red (matches the red Oratex pretty well and easy to touch up)

821 lbs

One thing to keep in mind is empty weight means different things to different people. I drained the fuel out at the fuel pump until I saw the level in the vent line go down, which means there is still a gallon of fuel in the header tank and probably a gallon of unusable fuel in each wing. To me, it made the most sense to include this in the empty weight.
    Last edited by rocketman2tm; 03-24-2021 at 03:40 AM.
    John Grueter
    N188LR
    Kenosha, WI
    Series 7 Super Sport - flying!

I agree, empty weight makes most sense to include engine oil & coolant, unusable fuel in wings and header (header fuel could be argued that it is usable, but I hope to never have to use it). Empty weight is used as a base number in W&B calculations, and added flying weight is always usable fuel, baggage, pilot and passenger.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS