Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Aircraft Maintenance Tasks and Intervals

Default Aircraft Maintenance Tasks and Intervals

I've been focused on the maintenance steps and intervals for my 912 ULS and they are very detailed and complete. There doesn't seem to be anything similar that I can find on the airframe and other non-engine systems in the aircraft, except the battery changes in my ELT. All I have found to date is a page in my build manual listing the recommended lubricants, brake fluid type and tire pressures. Are the items in the aircraft that need lube now and then supposed to get it during the annual inspection, if they seem to need it or what? What am I missing?
    Larry Olson
    Kitfox Series 6 - 1st Flight Oct 2021
    Tri-gear, smooth cowl
    912 ULS

Default Re: Aircraft Maintenance Tasks and Intervals

At the bottom of the kitfox website there is a maintenance checklist for the kitfox.
    Starfox

Starfox,

I have seen the final inspection checklist at the back of my own build manual and wondered if builders were using it as the basis for their non-engine annual condition and/or 100 hour inspection checklist. I guess this will do for me as well. Thanks
    Larry Olson
    Kitfox Series 6 - 1st Flight Oct 2021
    Tri-gear, smooth cowl
    912 ULS

Yes, that is what is recommended as the annual checklist. The 100 hr engine checklist comes from the Rotax maintenance manual, which overlaps somewhat with the Kitfox annual checklist. Since I fly more than 100 hrs per year I end up doing the Rotax checklist more than once per year, so I have modified the annual checklist by crossing off the items that are already done on the engine; that way everything gets done at least once a year but not more often than necessary.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Good for you being able to get 100 hours per year flying, I need to retire soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Birdseyeview View Post
    What am I missing?
    I completed my Series 6 a few months ago and am missing this too. The maintenance intervals for the 912ULS and Whirwind prop are very carefully and unambiguously spelled out, the airframe is another matter. As was mentioned, there is a final inspection checklist on the kitfox website (and at end of the builders manual) BUT that is missing a lot of stuff I expect to see on an annual checklist. What about ...

• checking/cleaning finger screens in main tanks?
    • checking/cleaning inline fuel filter?
    • folding wings and inspecting spar hinges from inside for wear and cracks?

None of that is covered in the Kitfox checklist that I have seen.

If you feel those items, and others, are important for an annual, just add them to the list. I have added about 1/2 dozen items to my checklist.
    The fuel filter definitely needs to be added if it is not part of the engine 100 hour list.
    I personally don't check tank finger strainers; they are very coarse and if they ever start to plug up there will be early warning in the fuel filter. They are also very difficult to check for no good reason.
    Spar hinges have never been a problem area.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Most likely your Operating Limitations says something like "a condition inspection must be performed in accordance with the scope and detail to FAR 43 Appendix D . . . and was found to be in a condition for safe operation." The items listed in App. D are generic, the bare minimums and the basis for making your checklist. This list is different than the final assembly checklist. There are other things that should be added to your checklist like the ELT battery expiration. You should follow any manufacture's recommendations for routine/annual maintenance (engine, prop, ELT, magneto, avionics, etc.). Don't forget to track your transponder biennial test (FAR 91.413).

The bottom line is you need to build a suitable checklist for your aircraft, engine, prop and accessories. I used the final assembly checklist and kept adding things from there. I also print the checklists or incorporate the data from P-Mag, Continental, ACK, etc.

As a side note. Just because you built the plane and have the repairman's certificate doesn't mean you have the knowledge and experience to maintain it safely.
    Vic Syracuse talked about this last week on one of the EAA Homebuilder seminars. You legally can do it, but it is prudent to get proper training for maintaining the engine, prop, avionics, ELT, etc.

This was just put out today by the EAA where Vic Syracuse mentions AC43-13 again.
    Jam Nuts Redux – Hangar Flying (eaa.org)
    Last edited by PapuaPilot; 02-04-2021 at 04:17 PM.
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016

Anyone have a easy grid list for Rotax 912ULS service intervals?

Anyone have a easy grid list for Rotax 912ULS service intervals?
    There is a maintenance grid in section 05-20-00 of the Rotax Maintenance manual available online at Rotax-owner.com.

IMG_6678.jpg

Ralph