Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Rotax 912/914 Engine Monitoring

Default Rotax 912/914 Engine Monitoring

I am about 6 months away from ordering an engine for my 7 SS build. I will likely buy the Rotax 914. I plan a glass panel, but want to use a separate engine monitor so that my EFIS remains uncluttered. I have used JPI in other aircraft and really like them. Has anyone use a JPI (EDM 740 for experimental) with a 912 UL/914? I remember being told by their tech rep a while back that JPI won't go up to the 5500 (or so) RPM that we get in a ROTAX. I called them again today, just to double check, and a rep told me that JPI has always been compatible with ROTAX. Gee, that's great, should I try for the best 2 out of 3? Has anyone one on the forum used JPI with ROTAX, and have their been any problems?

Thanks

Fred
    Building 7SS

Default Re: Rotax 912/914 Engine Monitoring

There are a multitude of options and many of us have the Grand Rapids EIS however, it is an older unit, albeit still a good one but, it doesn't fit with newer technology. With that in mind, you might review the link to this message in the electronics section. It is looking very promising as an alternative to the GR EIS.

https://teamkitfox.com/Forums/thread...for-my-GRT-EIS
    EAA, AOPA
    KF5 (N49FK & N36KJ)
    Phoenix, AZ

What EFIS are you planning? I will put a plug in for Garmin. The nice thing of the G3X, in regards to the 912 or 914 engine monitoring, is the G3X will monitor it all and datalog it all. One of my favorite features is pulling the logs and seeing all the data and track logs. Another advantage is you can setup your CAS messages to alert you if anything is out of limits and it give you and audio alert plus a visual CAS message. I have used JPI on other aircraft but, would much rather have it all incorporated into one system. Once your engine is all dialed the motioning can be happening in the background giving you a large PFD. The G3X also allows for custom inputs of various sensors. If you are going to go with the 914 I would highly recommend running a intake temp senor. High intake temps are no good on a turbo engine. The 914 will start pulling power on you when the intake temps get up there. In fact I would take a good look at Edge Performances 914 they sell. It comes with fuel injection and is the same price of a stock 914. Of course I am partial to Edged top notch products.
    Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

Thanks for both of your thoughts. I was thinking of the Garmin, but am attracted to the GRT. I really want to separate the engine monitor to declutter the EFIS display, that’s why I’m thinking about a JPI.

Fred

Ditto what Dustin said is also true of Dynon Skyview (I have had for 7+ years) and AFS. I find the narrow strip of engine monitoring on the right side of the screen does not clutter up my view of the moving map and the PFD. That strip can be easily turned off, and if anything gets out of range you will see a message and hear a warning. All one system makes wiring, installation and setup so much easier.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

I just installed an Electronics International MVP-50P on my 7 cylinder radial. I am in the final stages of wiring everything up and will probably turn it on in the next week or so. I can keep you posted on the progress. So far the install has been a breeze and everything seems to be very well put together. Their customer support is pretty solid too.

Quote Originally Posted by jiott View Post
    Ditto what Dustin said is also true of Dynon Skyview (I have had for 7+ years) and AFS. I find the narrow strip of engine monitoring on the right side of the screen does not clutter up my view of the moving map and the PFD. That strip can be easily turned off, and if anything gets out of range you will see a message and hear a warning. All one system makes wiring, installation and setup so much easier.
    I totally agree with this. I think most EFIS's have too much info displayed at once. One feature I have always thought would be good
    is to have a separate engine monitor where the entire screen flashed RED when something was out of the normal range.

V.