Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Rotax Prices

Default Rotax Prices

Guess I should have bought last year like I wanted to. 912uls and 912is both went up about $3000. This is at Leading Edge. Haven't checked with John M yet.

Rick

Post Re: Rotax Prices

Quote Originally Posted by bumsteer View Post
    Guess I should have bought last year like I wanted to. 912uls and 912is both went up about $3000. This is at Leading Edge. Haven't checked with John M yet.

Rick
    I did the same thing. I was going to buy at the end of the year till I found I couldn't get a FWF kit for 6 or 7 months and I thought I didn't want the engine setting around the shop that long......
    Oh well won't be my last mistake in less I pass soon....
    Harlan and Susan Payne
    Sold Piper Archer
    Flying FarmFox STI Kitfox N61HP
    Rotax 915is, Airmaster prop
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5A...oCVUP15G0uB-Yw

Default Re: Rotax Prices

I'm guessing the price increase is only continuing in this direction (up!). Is there a disadvantage to buying an engine even though it will likely be 2-3 years before I'm at a point to install it?

Your warrantee will be expired and you'll be half way through the 5 year rubber replacement time. Also you need a clean climate controlled place to store the engine. Even if the price increases, it's not worth the early purchase. Also, no guarantees that you'll actually be ready in 2-3 years. I made that mistake on my build. I had to have my engine overhauled before it was ever started.
    -- Paul S
    Model III SN910
    582 IVO Med

I figured the warranty issue would be enough to dissuade me. Is the rubber replacement an issue because it just degrades that fast, despite no actual engine hours? It seems an odd thing to put a time requirement on (vs hours). Forgive my ignorance.

If it's experimental, you can choose what maintenance protocol you follow. Rotax specifies a 5 year period for rubber replacement, I'm sure with a large safety margin because they don't know how their product will be used or stored. Still, many follow the Rotax suggested maintenance as good practice. My best advice is still to hold off on the engine and avionics until you know you're ready for them. (Lighting falls into that category as well).
    -- Paul S
    Model III SN910
    582 IVO Med