Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Landing Gear Assembly Weights

Default Landing Gear Assembly Weights

I'm wondering how much my series 6 nose gear assembly total weight is so that I will know what to subtract out in my weight and balance charts when/if I change over to the tail dragger config. Standard 5.00 Aero Trainer tire. I'd weigh it myself if it wasn't all bolted on. Someone out there must have done this conversion and updated their W&B accordingly.

My main gear is the grove spring gear with the standard 6.00x6 Aero Trainer tires that came with the kit, along with Cleveland brakes. Anyone have a weight for this whole assembly as well for W&B calcs?

Appreciate any experienced insight regarding the changeover from nose to tail dragger as well.
    Larry Olson
    Kitfox Series 6 - 1st Flight Oct 2021
    Tri-gear, smooth cowl
    912 ULS

Default Re: Landing Gear Assembly Weights

Here is my W&B as a trike and as a taildragger.
    I did add larger (heavier) mains with the same gear setup as you are using. The tailwheel assembly is an Airframe Alaska T3 and wheel setup. The empty weight also includes a few additions to the airframe (radios and different prop) and I'm guessing the original empty weight didn't include fuel in the header tank.

Trike W&B
    Screen Shot 2021-01-04 at 4.48.59 PM.jpg

Taildragger W&B
    Screen Shot 2021-01-04 at 4.48.45 PM.png
    Dave
    KitFox 6 Taildragger
    912 ULS
    Whirlwind 70” Prop
    Garmin G3x
    All around nice guy

A few thoughts to consider... The weight of the nose gear assembly is not the only change. The location of the main gear changes, moving forward nearer the datum. The tailwheel assembly is added way behind the datum. It is best to do a new weighing, doing a W&B calculation with everything in it's new location.

Ralph

Ralph,

Excellent point and that will be my plan when the time comes.
    Larry Olson
    Kitfox Series 6 - 1st Flight Oct 2021
    Tri-gear, smooth cowl
    912 ULS