Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: How to test Whelen Strobe power unit?

Default How to test Whelen Strobe power unit?

I purchased a strobe system here off of Team Kitfox a couple of years ago. I had to replace one of the light elements but, it was working fine when I took my plane to the airport. About a month into my flight testing, they quit working. I've looked at the elements but they look fine and unless they both blew out at the same time I don't think it's these. I checked my fuse and it is okay. So, I'm wondering if the power supply is failed. Does anyone know how I could assess this?

Fred
    EAA, AOPA
    KF5 (N49FK & N36KJ)
    Phoenix, AZ

Default Re: How to test Whelen Strobe power unit?

Hi Fred,

First of all, check that you have power at the unit... check for 12v. at the power supply itself. Believe it or not, one bad bulb can cause both bulbs to not work. Power down and unplug lights. Then plug them back in one at a time, and power back up each time. If one works and the other doesn't it is bad. A bulb can sometimes short out and that can cause the power supply to shut down. Shut off the power, then restart with each bulb test. You can also test the voltage at the bulb socket if you have a meter and probes for high voltage... I think it is somewhere around 600v but I'm not sure. Obviously be careful if you do that.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

Default Re: How to test Whelen Strobe power unit?

It may well be the electrolytic caps in the power supply. See this thread starting at post 6:

http://www.vansairforce.com/communit...ply+Dan+Blumel
    -- Paul S
    Model III SN910
    582 IVO Med