Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Ready to buy - Kitfox, Rans S21, Highlander - Which one???

Default Ready to buy - Kitfox, Rans S21, Highlander - Which one???

This is the year!

I have been wanting to get a kit and start building for several years but have just been too busy… I have finally positioned my life to have a bit more time and decided to treat myself to a kit and get started.

Unlike all of you that made the jump to Kitfox, I am still undecided - I am a victim of youtube, whatever the last flying video was i watched, that is what I want… And the last video was the Kitfox vrs RANS S21 by youtube channel ”cleared direct”. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ha91HTXAPZU

I get that the Kitfox is basically the default kit bush plane. I even drove to the factory a few years ago to buy one but left empty handed. Had I placed a deposit that day I would have a kit now, but with that being said I never took the time to look at anything else except kitfox.

A few months ago Trent had a video introducing his new sidekick camera assistant, and they looked like they were kinda tight in the cabin… Im a bigger guy and after seeing that video all I can think about is I gotta find something wider… https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6O4sNEWOtw

I would really like to order a kit this month, but I am still stuck on which direction to go. I do want want side by side and I do want amateur built so I can wrench on it. I am not looking at Valdez or stol drags either, just a fun safe rig to get me into the wild of Utah and Idaho. I have thousands of PIC hours and want VFR fun adventure over SOG.

Is there a clear unbiased comparison between the popular side by side brands, Highlander, S21, S7. Is there a new or wider Kitfox coming out. I do not want I do not want the tandem layout, but if I did I sure do like the Chinook Yukon - WOW, look at those youtube vids of that thing at Valdez.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qndwkWJSOwM

And how do you not smile whenever you watch a steve henry video
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QySnUZGCxlI (lots of wind and a 6 foot take off)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QySnUZGCxlI

So that’s where I am… RANS S21 for speed of build and benefit of all metal, Highlander for obscene performance or Kitfox for amazing community support… I do not care about the folding wing. I would probably go with the 915 regardless of brand. If you won a FREE airplane which one of the 3 would it be and why.

Default Re: Ready to buy - Kitfox, Rans S21, Highlander - Which one???

Have you considered how many kits of each model you mentioned have been sold; how many have been completed and are flying? There's no doubt that when looking at armature built kit planes that Van's aircraft is the industry leader when it comes to that type of airplane but the planes you have mentioned are a type for a different group of builders. Looking at the stats on which among the tube and fabric airplanes has sold the most and also how many have been successfully completed and are in flight might be helpful. Certainly, there is one aspect of the Kitfox that is exceptional and that is this group. Community support is of paramount importance to the completion of your kit. Getting past those seemingly insurmountable tasks/problems is often a disincentive to persevering past them. Having the community who wish for your success there to help you with their opinions, pictures, and solutions to those tasks/problems will have a significant impact of your success. Here's what I think most all of us would say is, if you choose the Kitfox you won't be disappointed that it doesn't do what the manufacture says it will.
    Fred
    EAA, AOPA
    KF5 (N49FK & N36KJ)
    Phoenix, AZ

I’d say Kitfox or S21... I would like to fly in a S21. I’m curious about it. On paper and a few reviews, it’s a very intriguing aircraft. However, I do love my Kitfox. I’d advise flying any aircraft that you are interested in, because at the end of the day that is what matters. Does it do my mission and do I enjoy flying it?

Well, the S21's cockpit is 3.5" wider which could be a plus in your column. The SS7 is 60 lbs lighter (depending on engine choice)
    and takeoff/landing roll is 60 ft shorter (again, depending on engine). The SS7 stall speed with full flaps is 4 mph slower which is
    nice to have for off-airport landings.

The S21's fuel tank carries 18 more gallons which helps for the longer trips as long as your bladder has the same endurance.

The Ran's website claims 500-700 hrs to build and the SS7 states 1000 hrs. If the Ran's quoted time is accurate and you don't
    have tons of time it might have an edge.

Personally I chose the SS7 due to the reputation of Kitfox and the support provided by this forum.

You can compare numbers all day and still not come to a conclusion. Is there a way you can fly each of them? That could
    be the ultimate test.

Victor

I built and have a Series 5. I am currently helping my brother build an S21. IMHO the Kitfox drawings are a world above the Rans. We have found many mistakes & have received numerous revisions. This might be because the Kitfox has thousands of kits out in the field vs a few hundred. If you want speed, yes the the S21 with the Titan 340 is the way to go. I am a big guy and have had a guy same size in my plane. For some reason I didn't feel as crowded as me and my brother felt in our RV=9A for comparison. Another issue I have is the aluminum skin. It is very thin and subject to dents and dings. We have several already on the build. I can bang on the side of the Kitfox fuselage with my hand, no damage (unless pointed object) Same force on the rans leaves a dent. Again in my opinion the Kitfox is a better quality kit.
    But buyer beware, this is one man's opinion. Don't know anything about the Highlander.
    David E.
    Woodstock, Georgia
    N97DE S5 TD Flying

N97KE RV-9A Sold
    N96KE RV10 Sold
    Rans S21 Helping Brother Build (Selling)
    Vans RV-14A (On Order)

You should fly in them first.

On the Rans, be prepared to do all your own homework for much of it. FF kit, etc. A friend is building an S20 now, zero help from a group out west he bought it from. If you do not mind that kind of research all good.