Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Glare Shield Doesn't Match New Panel

Default Glare Shield Doesn't Match New Panel

I replaced my old panel, but I think I screwed up somewhere in the process (not sure where) and the top of the glare shield doesn't quite come out to meet the panel (see below). Does anyone have any solutions to fix this? I can potentially bend the panel further back to try and cover the distance but I'm not convinced that's the best solution. I would hate to leave it like this given how ugly it looks...

GlareShield.jpgGlareShield2.jpg

Default Re: Glare Shield Doesn't Match New Panel

If I recall accurately, the panel is mounted on the tabs by bolts through holes in the bottom of the panel. Is it possible to make the holes in the bottom of the panel into slots and maybe move the panel toward the firewall a little? I don't know if you would gain enough distance to make it worth while but, that's the first thing that comes to mind. I can see where this might prevent you being able to have a wide area washer under the bolt head. If it were a viable solution, perhaps grinding a flat edge on a washer to fit might be possible.

Second idea: could you bend the panel on a brake so that the top of the panel leans toward the firewall more? Would that work?
    EAA, AOPA
    KF5 (N49FK & N36KJ)
    Phoenix, AZ

The first thing that came to me is the bracing behind the panel. Did the braces get reattached precisely the same? If it were mine, I would probably just lean the panel slightly. Another option is to remove the glare shield, add a bit of fiberglass and replace the fabric.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

I agree with Eddie; by far the easiest and the slight lean would be unnoticeable. Another possibility, maybe in combination, is to get as wide a rubber edge trim strip to put on the edge of the glare shield, over the fabric. Personally I think it needs it anyway to look right.
    Last edited by jiott; 01-01-2021 at 12:30 PM.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

I agree with leaning it a bit forward might take care of the issue. Are you planning to fly from the right seat, looks like you main screen is on the right?

I'm going to try and use the brace bars to pull it back further. It won't be at the perfect angle anymore with respect to the seat but you can't have everything in life I guess.