Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: DEX Cool

Default DEX Cool

The 912 ULS Operator manual talks about max coolant temps for both "conventional" and "waterless" coolant. I'm planning to use the DEXCool that has been discussed on the forum. Is DEXCool considered "conventional" or "waterless"?
    Larry Olson
    Kitfox Series 6 - 1st Flight Oct 2021
    Tri-gear, smooth cowl
    912 ULS

Default Re: DEX Cool

"Conventional" = Ethylene glycol - normally diluted to 50% like in a car, the Dexcool brand is ethylene glycol

"Waterless" = 100% Propylene Glycol, One brand is Evans

An interesting factoid about propylene glycol is its common use as a food additive
    Dave S
    Kitfox 7 Trigear (Flying since 2009)
    912ULS Warp Drive

St Paul, MN

Quote Originally Posted by Dave S View Post
    "Conventional" = Ethylene glycol - normally diluted to 50% like in a car, the Dexcool brand is ethylene glycol

"Waterless" = 100% Propylene Glycol, One brand is Evans

An interesting factoid about propylene glycol is its common use as a food additive
    Heavily packaged food maybe. Propylene glycol is the active ingredient in bowel prep, familiar to those of us over 50.
    Kitfox 5 (under construction)
    Commercial SE/ME, CFII

Quote Originally Posted by Birdseyeview View Post
    The 912 ULS Operator manual talks about max coolant temps for both "conventional" and "waterless" coolant. I'm planning to use the DEXCool that has been discussed on the forum. Is DEXCool considered "conventional" or "waterless"?
    I have worked on automotive cooling systems for more than 30 years. In that time I would say the worst
    antifreeze ever Is Dexcool
    i would recommend anything other than dexcool! GO 5 is a good coolant. Many newer import antifreezes
    are great also. Do some more research before you use dex.

Quote Originally Posted by Xengineguy View Post
    I have worked on automotive cooling systems for more than 30 years. In that time I would say the worst
    antifreeze ever Is Dexcool
    i would recommend anything other than dexcool! GO 5 is a good coolant. Many newer import antifreezes
    are great also. Do some more research before you use dex.

Good bad or indifferent, Dexcool is what Rotax specs for and recommends for the 912 engine. Personally, I'll follow their recommendation.

Evans waterless has (thankfully) fallen out of favor. It's not as efficient in heat transfer and is extremely difficult to source in an emergency.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

Before you trash Dexcool which most of us have been using for many years without a single problem, please explain WHY Dexcool is the "worst antifreeze ever". We are willing to learn facts.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Most problems I am aware of regarding dexcool result from improper mixing of dexcool and "green" antifreeze. This isn't dexcools fault. I have over a million miles on dexcool without a single issue.

That said, the rotax owners manual I have does not recommend dexcool. It recommends BASF Glysantin or equivalent. Could dexcool be an equivalent? Sure, but there are also several SB/SI/SL s that basically allude to use of "conventional" antifreeze as being ok. IMO, any silicate free and nitrate free antifreeze will be suitable provided they have anti-corrosion properties that are sufficient. Any modern antifreeze should be able to handle this.

The most important thing with antifreeze is don't mix types. Dexcool + green equals gelling and that is bad, but it isn't just green. The colors are mostly just dye, so color doesn't really mean squat. I always use the same brand/type and if switching then the entire system gets flushed completely before putting the new brand/type antifreeze in.

Just my opinion.
    John Brannen
    Morris, IL
    Sonerai IIL (Single Seat)
    Kitfox 3/4 1050 - Rotax 582 (Back Flying and sold)
    Kitfox IV 1050 - Rotax 582 (sold)
    Kitfox IV 1200 Speedster - Rotax 912 UL (project)
    Piper Twin Comanche (Sold)
    Glasair 1 FT (Waiting to start)

John, sounds perfectly reasonable.
    By the way, the latest 912 Owner's Manual refers to Rotax Service Bulletin SI-912-016 R11 for coolant recommendations. It lists several US manufacturers in addition to the BASF in their list of approved coolants: Prestone Dex Cool Ext Life, Shell Dex Cool, and Texaco Havoline Ext Life. It also basically says any "conventional" coolant that is silicate and nitrate free is satisfactory.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Quote Originally Posted by jiott View Post
    Before you trash Dexcool which most of us have been using for many years without a single problem, please explain WHY Dexcool is the "worst antifreeze ever". We are willing to learn facts.
    Sorry if you think I’m trashing a product. My experience has come from the automotive field.
    I have owned a automotive/ industrial radiator repair shop for many years. I have seen the results
    of using Dexcool in especially gm products. As mentioned the antifreeze can turn to mud/ pudding.
    Also intake manifolds suffered extreme corrosion, aluminium radiators and heater cores rotted from the inside.
    Personally I don’t believe that mixing different types of coolant was the cause. Though never recommended.
    I believe the cause of the coolant failure was introduction of air into the systems. Over and over.
    Systems with good overflow tanks, that only allow fluid in and out of the system worked much better.
    At the same time GM was having so many problems one of my customers installed Dex in several
    street rods and classic cars. All properly flushed before installing Dex. Two years later what a mess!
    None of these cars had proper coolant recovery tanks.
    If you can keep the air out, and replace the coolant every couple years you will be ok, maybe.

I have never seen any other coolant cause more problems than Dex.

Why does Rotax Rick advise to only use green antifreeze?