Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flying with my dog in a Kitfox?

Cool Flying with my dog in a Kitfox?

Newbie here...thinking about a kitfox.
    Serious question...Anyone here fly their fox with their dog?
    Mine is only about 45 lbs....not a toy dog, but not big...just little bigger than a real fox.
    (Shes a mix between a border collie and a golden retriever and only one year old with a 15 yr life expectancy...I should have her for a while...)
    I’m wondering if it would be possible to rig a raised spot in the front of the baggage compartment above the baggage where she could be high enough to see out, yet still be safely harnessed in.
    (I could harness her in the front seat, but then I’d have to leave my wife home.)
    Trying to decide if this is feasible or if I need to be looking at a bigger aircraft...
    Appreciate your thoughts!

Default Re: Flying with my dog in a Kitfox?

I fly with our dog all the time. No raised platform and I make sure he’s harnessed so he doesn’t jump over the seat or move around too much. He’s about 25-30 lbs. what I’ve found works good is I put a small soft crate with a top that zips open. It just barely fits back there, still I tie it down. Then the dog wears a chest harness that I tie down inside the crate. Works well and he can look out but not effect cg or jump over the seats.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cool...any chance you have a pic?

Theres a guy i follow on Instagram that has a dog about the size of yours. they stack up some sleeping bags in the front off the cargo bay right to the top and it curls up just over the top top of the seat backs. It seems really comfy for all. MYy dog is a little bigger and i don't think she'll fit, i'm thinking maybe ill pull the right control stick and let her ride up front!

If you get it figured out post pictures!

That pic of your pooch flying with you is heartwarming Joe.

All the best to you and yours!
    Somebody said that carrier pilots were the best in the world, and they must be or there wouldn't be any of them left alive. — Ernie Pyle

Brett Butler
    Flying: 1998 Model 5 Outback, 912ul Zipper 110hp, G3x avionics, ss7 upgrades

Mutt muffs are a good idea for Kitfox canines. Very noisy environment for sensitive ears.

https://www.safeandsoundpets.com/index.html

91924F82-49EE-4C14-A88C-1C3469DA1932.jpeg

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

I appreciate the head set suggestion. We actually have muttmuffs and 4-paws. I try almost every flight to have Jake (the dog) wear them. He shakes them off. Even tried real ear plugs and then the head set. Shakes those out too. Next I want to try Rex specs. They seem a bit more secure. Jake hates the noise we m ow that for sure. But he loves the places we go. Mostly camping!

Ah one thing I forgot. Mutt muffs seam to do little to nothing for sound reduction. That’s why I went to 4-paws. I wore both in the plane to test. 4-paw was way better. Mutt muffs has a very thin piece of foam and that’s all there is in there.

I have 4-Paws as well. Fortunately my French Bull Dog doesn't mind wearing them.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X