Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Zipper big bore

Default Re: Zipper big bore

I'm not sure that early of a 80 is a good of a choice for the zipper kit. Some one was just telling me today, that 2006 and newer is better. And wasn't the engine Hal Stockman blow up on the way to OshKosh an early 80 HP engine. The main guy at leading edge told me that these engines are generally pretty good about sitting for long periods of time without corrosion developing under normal circumstances. I did have a never run early 90s 582 and when I took it to the mechanic to inspect it and reseal, he said the assembly grease was all dried up, and would have caused problems if I had just run it. In fact, I took the gearbox off, and it seemed like the front bearing was corroded, it seems to not run smooth when I spun it over. I sent it to Steve Beatty at Airscrew performance, and he cleaned it up, and the bearings were fine. It was just the dired up old assembly grease. Fresh oil, and it was good to go. Just some other things to consider. JImChuk

500 hours and counting on my 1997 model 912UL with a 105 hp Zipper Big Bore.

Not one ounce of trouble. Thoroughly endorsed by Hal Stockman.

Would I put a high compression version on this engine? Probably not without doing Hal's through-bolt modification.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

Agreed! My early 912ul has the 105hp big bore kit and cam. For my peace of mind, I had Hal do his hd mod which though-bolts the case. Hal is a gem to work with. Real happy with his work.

Never had a problem reaching Jay or Hal on the phone. Holidays and covid could be an issue atm.
    Somebody said that carrier pilots were the best in the world, and they must be or there wouldn't be any of them left alive. — Ernie Pyle

Brett Butler
    Flying: 1998 Model 5 Outback, 912ul Zipper 110hp, G3x avionics, ss7 upgrades

Brett, what does the through bolt mod look like?

Also, Curious to know about which SB's you did. The Stator and fuel pump? I called Lockwood aviation and they basically told me I had a boat anchor.

Anyone know of a source for the newer stator?

I had a 1994ish UL in my KF 4 and it ran like a top.

Hey Jerrytex, how much would you sell your "boat anchor" for? If you decide to not use it I may be interested in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerrytex View Post

Also, Curious to know about which SB's you did. The Stator and fuel pump? I called Lockwood aviation and they basically told me I had a boat anchor.

I doubt your engine is a boat anchor. Lol. Probably want to sell you a new engine...

Hal explained to me that mid 2006 Rotax 912 series came with a heavy duty case and other improvements notably the through bolt case and rocker shaft improvements for better oiling. He does this to the high hp zipper engines if needed.
    Tbh It looks about the same as it did before but with the bigger jugs and bolts!

Gearbox was also gone through and a slipper clutch installed. All hoses and rubber boots were replaced. Hal ran it on his test bench and adjusted the carbs before shipping it back to me. So it's literally a new zero time engine. I bought a new fuel pump and hd starter from Hal as well.
    If your buying a used engine with no log books imho you have to go through the motor/gearbox as your life depends on it. I had little experience with this engine so I had the work done by a pro.

I'm looking at an alternator upgrade but still researching. Maybe someone can chime in on that.
    Somebody said that carrier pilots were the best in the world, and they must be or there wouldn't be any of them left alive. — Ernie Pyle

Brett Butler
    Flying: 1998 Model 5 Outback, 912ul Zipper 110hp, G3x avionics, ss7 upgrades

Quote Originally Posted by Jerrytex View Post

Lockwood told me the stator issue was insulation chafing through and installing a thicker insulation sleeve was satisfactory.

I have just installed one of Hals 104 hp kits, this is an amazing upgrade,.
    A few questions
    1 has anyone done a before and after cranking compression test, my pressure is 145 psi I didn't do a before upgrade comparison.
    2 the reason I am asking is we weren't happy with the amount of valve shrouding with the stock 80 hp heads, does everyone leave these as stock?
    The heads were cnc machined to be more like the 100 hp heads, this requires a small cutting of the heads to restore stock pressure.
    This was a bit of an educated guess ,also valve geometry was taken into accoumt.
    BTW we set the ivo 72 inch prop to 5100 static with the original setup. After the upgrade I could easily exceed 5800 after an hours breakin
    I'm looking forward to getting some more testing and solid performance numbers