Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How many are installing/switching to the Yamaha Apex Engine?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Re: How many are installing/switching to the Yamaha Apex Engine?

Quote Originally Posted by Rik View Post
    Here comes the defenders with that "insurance, layers and liability" argument.

Tell us, when is the last time you have seen any of those three amigo's come into effect with your personal aircraft life, much less your "Experimental Aircraft Experiences"
    It affects me right now. Many of the aircraft insurance companies will not insure an airplane that has a converted engine. My current ride is a Sonerai with a converted VW engine and my broker told me that many of the companies they deal with refused to quote because Sonerais are typically VW powered. Even the quotes that were received had several that stated emphatically that an airplane with a converted engine could not be covered. Here is what one quote, that I still happen to have, that said in the notes section of the quote: "This is an experimental aircraft. To bind this quote the make and model of the installed engine must be documented to us and approved by the underwriter. Aircraft equipped with automobile engines and two-stroke engines are not acceptable."

The situation was similar when I had my 582 powered Kitfox, the 2-stroke was a deal killer for many of the quotes I got and i had to go with a company that charged about 50% more than what a 912 powered Kitfox would cost.

Did either of these instances it stop me? No, of course not, but it did in fact affect me in the wallet and is in turn still affecting me and my "Experimental Aircraft Experience".
    John Brannen
    Morris, IL
    Sonerai IIL (Single Seat)
    Kitfox 3/4 1050 - Rotax 582 (Back Flying and sold)
    Kitfox IV 1050 - Rotax 582 (sold)
    Kitfox IV 1200 Speedster - Rotax 912 UL (rebuilt and now flying)
    Piper Twin Comanche (Sold)
    Glasair 1 FT (Waiting to start)

Quote Originally Posted by Rik View Post
    Here comes the defenders with that "insurance, layers and liability" argument.

Tell us, when is the last time you have seen any of those three amigo's come into effect with your personal aircraft life, much less your "Experimental Aircraft Experiences" ....
    There's no reason to make this personal, Rik. Speaking only for myself, I'm not trying to be a defender or apologist for anyone... simply stating some facts as I see them. The "three amigo's"? I'll tell you when - when you purchase pretty much anything, including aircraft parts and insurance. I don't know how long you've been in this game, but I started building an airplane in the mid 1970's and in 1981 I purchased a brand new 160 hp Lycoming O-320 for $5140. Based on inflation alone that very same engine would cost less than $15,000 today. They're going for over $34,000 now. What else do you attribute that to? If you think that lawyers and the legal system aren't a major factor I think you're deceiving yourself.

I was never a fan of Rotax engines (I've changed my mind in recent years), but I stand by what I said. They have had a huge positive influence on the type of flying we're involved with on this forum. People complain about the price, but don't forget that $34,000 + new Lycoming versus a $19,000 new Rotax, which is much more complicated and expensive to manufacture. I am also a huge fan of people who try new engines. I don't think anyone likes spending more money than they need to, and finding a new, more powerful and cheaper alternative should be applauded, and I do!
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

There’s the small matter of an engine being designed, manufactured and marketed specifically as an “aircraft” engine, and then the huge additional expense to protect against liability lawsuits in today’s world. Insurance companies may look at your use of a non-aircraft engine in your homebuilt and not be real comfortable with that also. Anger at the lawyers and the legal system might be more reasonable than targeting a company that saw a need and spent many, many years and a fortune, I’m sure, developing and improving an engine specifically to meet a need, and now sells more “airplane” engines than all of the other manufacturers combined. More power to true “experimenters”, but without Rotax, our experimental aircraft world would not be what it is today.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime