Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 912 is ??

Default 912 is ??

I'm building and S7 SS and would like feedback for those that have selected the 912IS. I live in the midwest (elevation 1600ft) and will be using this plane for all around activities. I do not have a need for high altitude operations in most cases but would like to fly to the mountains from time to time. Please let me know you thoughts regarding selection of this engine as well of prop setups that you feel are best choice. Thank you so much.

Default Re: 912 is ??

Love the 912is. I have taken my plane to Big Bear airport with DA of more than 9500ft single occupant. Definetly notice but I flew it out of there no problem. I would love to have a turbo but I wouldn't be using it that much to be honest. Im using a Whirlwind ground adjustable prop.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

I have a low tech carbureted 912 in my plane.

Even with this carbureted engine I am very pleased with the high altitude performance I get. I have been out west several times now, flying to airports with 8000-10,000 DA conditions. I have never had want for the heat, complexity and weight of a turbo.

I can only imagine that the altitude compensation from fuel injection would only be better than my carbs.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

My basic 912ULS does fine ... had a nice flight up to Leadville, Colorado yesterday - elevation 9933’ MSL. BTW, that’s an 80 hp 912 Mod. IV parked by me that does very well also.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

I have the iS. Whirlwind ground adjustable also. In phase 1 now with about 20 hours. It is great. Flew similar setup at Stick N Rudder in Idaho. Excellent.

I installed the 912iS with an inflight adjustable Airmaster with 75” Whirlwind blades. I too, am in Phase 1 at about 20 hours. Very happy with how easy it is to start and the performance. Have not flown in high DA yet. I have heard that the gear box requires maintenance sooner than the ULS but no regrets on the setup.
    Joe Gallagher
    Flying 7SS

http://frontierfox.home.blog

Frontier Fox, just curious, did you solve your erratic trim system problem?
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Jim
    Yes I did. I grounded the airplane until it was resolved. Worked with Rob Hickman at AFS and ended up installing an amp booster made by TCW. I was not getting the amps needed to operate the trim when it was under a load. Works great now.
    Joe Gallagher
    Flying 7SS

http://frontierfox.home.blog

And that right there is a nugget for anyone who is installing the G3X with Autopilot. The TCW boost is a necessary addition to your build as the G3X cannot operate the trim motor and therefore the AP would be unable to trim the plane.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

I also really like the 912Is. Been to Oshkosh and also to the Idaho/Montana back country from Colorado. No issues at all even when flying with 2 people and a full load in back & full tanks. Also, the fuel economy is awesome. I was flying with my brother who has the 912ULS in his Kitfox. I was burning close to half what he was burning in cruise. I fly out of a field at 6800' in Colorado and I get off the ground faster than most. I have the Airmaster prop and am a big fan.
    Eric Joern
    Super Sport
    Flying!