Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Alodine under Fuel tanks

Default Alodine under Fuel tanks

About to glue in the Tanks. Anyone treat the spars with Alodine or Epoxy UNDER the tanks? My plan was to treat the spars overall with alodine inside and out as others have posted but that will be after the tanks are in and it will be brushed on instead of submerged so no way to get it under the tanks. I guess my main concern is....will the RTV silicone stick to the Alodine coating sufficently? Or do most just leave the spars untreated under the tanks?

Default Re: Alodine under Fuel tanks

Jerry,

I treated the inside of the spars to an alodine cocktail; however, painted the outside of the spars with epoxy primer, (no alodine) overlapping on the varnish for a good seal (My polyfiber rep assured me that the epoxy varnish and epoxy primer are essentially identical regarding chemistry and overlapping makes a long lasting finish).

So, with that, I put the tanks in and they really, really stuck in place.

I know that doesn't answer yourr alodine/RTV question, but at least the epoxy primer is one thing that I know works well.
    Dave S
    Kitfox 7 Trigear (Flying since 2009)
    912ULS Warp Drive

St Paul, MN

One of the principal benefits of using Alodine on aluminum surfaces is enhanced paint adhesion. I think this is due, for the most part, to the microscopic surface texture of the oxide layer that is produced. It would make sense that the strength of an adhesive bond is probably enhanced also. I believe that to be the case, although I've never personally tested to confirm.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

Yeah I was thinking that if the Alodine holds paint, I don't see why it wouldn't hold RTV. I think I'll give it shot.