Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: 2 blade Warp drive on an 80 HP 912?

Default 2 blade Warp drive on an 80 HP 912?

Hi all, I'm wanting to try something else in the way of props on my 80 HP 912 in the Kitfox 4. I have a set of 72" square tip warp drive blades and a two blade hub I can put them in. Has anyone run this combination on a 80 HP 912? Probably not enough prop on the 100 HP, but maybe the 80 HP??? Any thoughts or comments? JImChuk

Default Re: 2 blade Warp drive on an 80 HP 912?

Nobody?? I'll go at it another way. I have three 72" square tip matching blades and a 2 blade and 3 blade hub for the 80 HP 912. I'm thinking if I try the 3 blade set up, it will be a bit to much prop for 80 HP. Anyone ever use one this size in that application and are willing to give their opinion on it? I don't want to cut the blades down, incase I end up going to a 100 HP of something in the future. JImChuk

Quote Originally Posted by avidflyer View Post
    Nobody?? I'll go at it another way. I have three 72" square tip matching blades and a 2 blade and 3 blade hub for the 80 HP 912. I'm thinking if I try the 3 blade set up, it will be a bit to much prop for 80 HP. Anyone ever use one this size in that application and are willing to give their opinion on it? I don't want to cut the blades down, incase I end up going to a 100 HP of something in the future. JImChuk
    I would try the two blade. See what happens. You might pick up some speed?? Good experiment.

Quite a coincidence, but I just got back from the first flight with the warp prop. I set it up with about 5300 rpm static, and figured it would be good enough to get around the pattern at least once like that. Climing out, I was only turning about 5150, but I was climbing at 1200-1400 fpm. That was at lease as good as the three blade 72" IVO, maybe just a bit better. I gained at least 10-12 MPH at 5200 rpm. Was showing about 100-105 MPH and the GPS agrees. I averaged both ways. It does have more vibration then the IVO or at least a lower frequency one. Just about what I have seen with other 2 blade props on other planes. And another plus, I didn't have a bunch of vibration when I was throttling back on base leg when slowing from 4000 to 3000 rpm. I was thinking that with the 5150 rpm on climb out, I would have to take out some pitch on the prop, so pushed it up to full throttle at straight and level and showed 5730 fairly soon. Looks like it will very nearly red line if I held it or especially if the nose dipped. Guess I'll leave it as is for pitch setting. I think I will be running with a two blade Warp for now....JImChuk

Jim, I have a friend with that exact setup on his Rans S6. Works as well as a Warp can be expected to work.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

Larry, aren't you running a 2 blade Luga prop now? Wonder if one of them would do much better then the Warp Drive... JImChuk

Larry, aren't you running a 2 blade Luga prop now? Wonder if one of them would do much better then the Warp Drive... JImChuk
    The Luga is much lighter and has a more efficient airfoil than the Warp. The Warp is pretty much bulletproof, though.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

I sent them an email this evening, can't seem to figure out what their prices are. I think I want to stick with a two blade. JImChuk

Quite a coincidence, but I just got back from the first flight with the warp prop. I set it up with about 5300 rpm static, and figured it would be good enough to get around the pattern at least once like that. Climing out, I was only turning about 5150, but I was climbing at 1200-1400 fpm. That was at lease as good as the three blade 72" IVO, maybe just a bit better. I gained at least 10-12 MPH at 5200 rpm. Was showing about 100-105 MPH and the GPS agrees. I averaged both ways. It does have more vibration then the IVO or at least a lower frequency one. Just about what I have seen with other 2 blade props on other planes. And another plus, I didn't have a bunch of vibration when I was throttling back on base leg when slowing from 4000 to 3000 rpm. I was thinking that with the 5150 rpm on climb out, I would have to take out some pitch on the prop, so pushed it up to full throttle at straight and level and showed 5730 fairly soon. Looks like it will very nearly red line if I held it or especially if the nose dipped. Guess I'll leave it as is for pitch setting. I think I will be running with a two blade Warp for now....JImChuk
    I pitched my model 4 Speedster for WOT not to exceed 5900 straight and level. Still had plenty of power
    for take off..... and economy cruse was very good. My prop was a 70 “ powerfin 3 blade. Very light prop.
    no prop vibration at all and could set the idle very low. My next plane will have a large NR propeller two
    blade. Ground adjustable....... can’t wait!