Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Door seal- door frame or fuselage?

Default Door seal- door frame or fuselage?

So, wondering if anyone has put the seal on the fuselage frame instead of on the door? The manual has the seal on the door (S5). Although most door seals are placed on the fuselage door frame. Just wondering. I would imagine there's probably less damage from climbing in and out on the lower sections when it's on the door.
    “I wish I knew now as much as I thought I knew when I was 18”

Building Kitfox 5 (25 yrs and counting)
    0-200
    A&P, ATP

Default Re: Door seal- door frame or fuselage?

somebody has, so I took their lead and replaced mine two weeks ago. Cleaned off the door stuff and put new stuff on the door frame. Ive already torn mine getting out of the plane one day. The seal is inexpensive so I'll slap a new piece on from time to time I suppose.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

I'm sure I saw someone post on here in the last few months that they put the seal on the fuselage instead of the door frame. I can't remember the reason, but it might have had something to do with getting a better seal and avoiding damage. I did a quick search, but couldn't find it. Maybe I just didn't have the right magic words...
    Eric Page
    Building: Kitfox 5 Safari | Rotax 912iS | Dynon HDX
    Member: EAA Lifetime, AOPA, ALPA
    ATP: AMEL | Comm: ASEL, Glider | ATCS: CTO
    Map of Landings

If you put the seal on the fuselage you don't see the adhesive strip thru the clear Plexi/lexan. It's a cleaner install.
    Dave
    KitFox 6 Taildragger
    912 ULS
    Whirlwind 70” Prop
    Garmin G3x
    All around nice guy

You did see a post. I believe it was a reply to my problem of the door seal being pulled off while trying to fly with my doors propped open a tad. That thread had to do with the door latches that someone made to have two securement slots. Maybe that will stir ones memory.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

I ended up putting the seal on the door. I did a little test area on the fuselage frame and wasn’t pleased with the looks. The seal on the door turned out fine, except the top. When I close the door, the shear action of the door there rolled the seal some so that you can see some of the seal. Nothing bad, it still seals.

0-200
    A&P, ATP

Most folks put an aluminum or SS U-channel over the bottom of the fuselage door frame for protection when getting in and out. Mine takes quite a bit of abuse as I slide my ass over it; I can't imagine putting a soft door seal in that location. By the way, the press-on door seal adhesive is not worth much. After a few years I pulled all my seals off and reinstalled them with a 3M industrial neoprene automotive weatherstrip adhesive-no more problems.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

As was suggested earlier to me I used this:D-Shaped Rubber Seal - Trim-Lok X1153BT

Went on very nicely.

0-200
    A&P, ATP

Quote Originally Posted by jiott View Post
    Most folks put an aluminum or SS U-channel over the bottom of the fuselage door frame for protection when getting in and out. Mine takes quite a bit of abuse as I slide my ass over it; I can't imagine putting a soft door seal in that location. By the way, the press-on door seal adhesive is not worth much. After a few years I pulled all my seals off and reinstalled them with a 3M industrial neoprene automotive weatherstrip adhesive-no more problems.
    I put mine on the fuselage door frame and invariably when I slide over the frame getting out it pulls a section loose. I think that the guidance in the series five manual is to put it on the door. When mine doesn't stick any longer, I'll likely leave it on the fuselage door frame for the verticals but put it across the bottom of the door to see if that works.
    Fred
    EAA, AOPA
    KF5 (N49FK & N36KJ)
    Phoenix, AZ

I'll likely leave it on the fuselage door frame for the verticals but put it across the bottom of the door to see if that works.
    That’s what I did with mine Fred and works great. Don’t have to worry about sliding in or out and snagging the seal.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear