Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tire Suggestions?

Default Re: Tire Suggestions?

Phil, is your lack of recommendation of a 600-6 tire because you don't think they are safe or just a lack of experience?

It looks like the majority like the AERO CLASSIC SMOOTH TUNDRA FAA TSO TIRE 850-6 4 PLY. Given that these are not available for the foreseeable future according to Dresser and AC Spruce, as well as price and questionable clearance with Cleveland wheels and brakes, I am considering the AIR HAWK 600-6 6PLY TIRE. From what I've read, these are made by McCreary.

My flying is likely going to be mostly from hard surface with occasional soft or dessert surface runways. Is there anyone with experience with the AIR HAWK 600-6 6PLY tires?

EAA, AOPA
    KF5 (N49FK & N36KJ)
    Phoenix, AZ

I have flown N85AE on 6.00x6 AirTracs through two sets of tires (second set developed cracking), and
    briefly AirTrac 8.50x6 (heavy tire) and hated them. The Condor 8.00x6 I just put on I have to say look
    and feel really nice. I can't say how well they last, but for now I really like them.

I would have bought Desser's 21/800x6 Tundra's, but nobody has any.

In hindsight I can see running 600x6 tires, but I would never buy AirTracs again. I think the 800's
    are a better size for the plane if you ever fly to turf or unpaved runways. I will say with my
    Grove gear they ride a lot better that the 6.00's and smooth out the ride when taxiing anyway ...

The AirHawk 600x6 seem like a nice tire, and I see a lot worn out AirHawks in the FBO's used tire stack
    by the dumpster ...

If you fly primarily off a paved runway, the only reason you need a tire bigger than the 600's is to avoid
    snippy comments from the big tire guys

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by Maverick View Post
    Phil, is your lack of recommendation of a 600-6 tire because you don't think they are safe or just a lack of experience?

It is from a lack of experience. We don't use 600x6 except for nose wheels where I work, so I don't have any suggestions.
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016

Here's what I went with for now, Air Hawk 600-6 six ply. They are rated to 1750 lbs. Total cost with two tires and two Air Classic tubes was circa $325.00 from Aircraft Spruce. I went to Desser first but, they back-ordered me until Dec. 11th. Aircraft Spruce had them in stock and I got them in two days.

What is the recommendation on wheel bearing grease?
    EAA, AOPA
    KF5 (N49FK & N36KJ)
    Phoenix, AZ

I started using marine axle grease a few years ago and really like it. We have been using it where I work for years on our C-206s. It is really sticky, keeps the water out and holds up a long time.
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016