Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tire Suggestions?

Default Tire Suggestions?

Somebody mentioned cracking tires, and that was enough, I got the curse, and find cracking
    between treads ... So being as it's almost X-Mas think I'll buy some tires.

Any thoughts about - AERO CLASSIC 21/800-6 4-PLY - TUNDRA FLOATION TT/FL TIRE

Thanks,
    Jeff

Default Re: Tire Suggestions?

It looks like the load rating is 800# per tire, which means a pair is barely enough for a 1550# Kitfox.

These tire are really nice, TSOed, a little larger diameter and hold up very well. They have double the load rating (1600#), but are twice the price as well: AERO CLASSIC SMOOTH TUNDRA FAA TSO TIRE 850-6 4 PLY

Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016

I'm with Phil on this one Jeff, same tires on mine. I know not much need for tundra tires in Chicago ,but you sure will look cool. I probably do 75% turf /25% hard surface runways and after 3 years no appreciable wear noted. Only weigh 10 lbs per tire as well. They are a real nice match for our airplanes. Bruce N199CL

Yeah, you guys are right. I don't need them where I fly. Here's my normal flying:

Cold, and wet time of the year (1/2-3/4 of the year) 100% pavement
    Warm summer months nearly every flight is to some turf airport. so 50/50 turf/asphalt.
    Off airport, or gravel bars ... This is something I watch in YouTube video's ...

I have had two set's of Air Trac 6.00x6 tires, they wear fast on pavement, and the second
    set has cracking. They are a rough feeling tire on turf. So I honestly don't like his tire, but
    the size is good for pavement. Plus they are cheap.

I have thought about getting a set of 15x6.00-6 4-ply Air Trac which should give me a bit
    more cushion on turf. Any thoughts?

To be honest I hate Air Trac tires after two sets, but they seem to have the best oval profile
    which for a taildragger seems best. Is there any other brand/model (Condor, Goodyear, etc)
    which have a decent profile for tailwheel?

If I could get a decent profile tire, that was better quality than Air Trac, that would likely
    be my choice for where I fly. Something in the smaller size close to a 6.00x6 or 8.00x6
    My web surfing for tires in leading back to Air Trac so looking like that might be what I buy.

I did have 8.50's on it at one time, but they were heavy, and stiff, and every landing was
    an adventure on pavement so I sold them. They did look cool though.

Jeff

I don't know of any 600x6 tires that I would recommend. The tire we are suggesting is neither heavy or stiff. They are only 10 pounds each, not 15# like most others and they are "pillow soft". I have another set of wheels with 600x6 tires and they weigh exactly the same as my wheels with the AirTrac 850x6 tundra tires; 19.5 lbs if I remember right. I think these tires are going to last 1000 hours and at least 2500 landings (50% on pavement). If you are not opposed to having larger tires these are one of the best values out there.
    Phil Nelson
    Flying since 2016

I agree with Phil & Bruce. I've got those too... they're nice.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

"All I want for Christmas is my two front tires"
    Phil Nelson
    Flying since 2016

Quote Originally Posted by n85ae View Post
    Somebody mentioned cracking tires, and that was enough, I got the curse, and find cracking
    between treads ... So being as it's almost X-Mas think I'll buy some tires.

Any thoughts about - AERO CLASSIC 21/800-6 4-PLY - TUNDRA FLOATION TT/FL TIRE

Thanks,
    Jeff
    Those are awesome tires. I run a set with my skis and if I didn't have the Airstreaks, I'd run them all year.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

the 8.50x6 Phil and others mentioned are tricky to get right now, I ordered some two months ago, they were supposed to ship Nov 20th but now it's looking like mid December. Apparently there was a fire at the factory. I can't comment on how good they are just yet.

Nobody has the Tundra tires in stock, and since I did have a set of Condor 800x6's sitting in the shop for another
    project, I stole them and put them on the Kitfox. Have to say the ride is much nicer than the AirTrac's both on
    pavement, and rough turf. The Condor's are a nice tire.

Also in the picture, the observant will notice I have my light bar installed as well which can be used for spotlighting
    deer and playing havoc with night time drivers on country roads ...

Jeff

128831206_10224202562600989_2047033167118783806_n.jpg