Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Rotax 912 cht/coolant sensors?

Default Rotax 912 cht/coolant sensors?

I'm getting ready to put together my home-brew engine monitoring system and came to a realization. My 912UL is an older one that has cylinder head temperature sensors and as such do not actually contact any fluid. It appears there is no provision for a direct reading of coolant temperature on this engine. Granted I was looking at the engine in my dimly lit barn addition. So the question is on these older engine with the CHT in the bottom of the #2&3 cylinder heads, is there or should there be another sensor for reading the actual coolant temperature? If so where should it be/go?
    John Brannen
    Morris, IL
    Sonerai IIL (Single Seat)
    Kitfox 3/4 1050 - Rotax 582 (Back Flying and sold)
    Kitfox IV 1050 - Rotax 582 (sold)
    Kitfox IV 1200 Speedster - Rotax 912 UL (project)
    Piper Twin Comanche (Sold)
    Glasair 1 FT (Waiting to start)

Default Re: Rotax 912 cht/coolant sensors?

I Welded a aluminum bung 1/8 npt into the spider tank, it worked great. Hottest spot in the coolant. The dry holes in the head work okay for the chts. I would install egts on every cylinder also.

Quote Originally Posted by 3 tracks View Post
    I Welded a aluminum bung 1/8 npt into the spider tank, it worked great. Hottest spot in the coolant. The dry holes in the head work okay for the chts. I would install egts on every cylinder also.
    Seems like that would be the coolest spot - directly after the radiator and before it enters the engine. Am I wrong?
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

This subject has been discussed many times on the Rotax-Owner.com forum. The difference between the older dry hole cht readings and the newer coolant temp readings at the cylinder head are not enough to get excited about. The main conclusion I got from the discussions was to properly label your engine monitor readout as "CHT" or "Coolant T".
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Quote Originally Posted by jrevens View Post
    Seems like that would be the coolest spot - directly after the radiator and before it enters the engine. Am I wrong?
    According to the maintenance manual, the coolant flows in this order water pump - cylinder heads - expansion tank - radiator - back to pump.

Capture.PNG

That said, I may jut put a probe in a tee on the line back to the pump.

As far as EGT goes, I'll probably start without but being a home-brew project I can always add later.
    John Brannen
    Morris, IL

I installed a thermo bob 1 thermostat to keep my coolant temps up mainly for winter heat. It seems to have done that fairly well. It would be real easy to drill and tap a 1/8" NPT hole in that housing to install a sensor. That housing is about 4" downstream of the spider tank, so it should be pretty accurate on reflecting engine coolant temp. The thermostat housing has a bypass line, so there is always coolant flow going through. JImChuk

Quote Originally Posted by jiott View Post
    This subject has been discussed many times on the Rotax-Owner.com forum. The difference between the older dry hole cht readings and the newer coolant temp readings at the cylinder head are not enough to get excited about. The main conclusion I got from the discussions was to properly label your engine monitor readout as "CHT" or "Coolant T".
    Understood, but if it is easy to add I'll add it. For my project it's just a few lines of code. I just found in the manual where it says:

Capture2.PNG

So This is applicable to my serial number and it says to permanently monitor CHT AND coolant temps. So I guess I'll do it.
    John Brannen
    Morris, IL

Quote Originally Posted by avidflyer View Post
    I installed a thermo bob 1 thermostat to keep my coolant temps up mainly for winter heat. It seems to have done that fairly well. It would be real easy to drill and tap a 1/8" NPT hole in that housing to install a sensor. That housing is about 4" downstream of the spider tank, so it should be pretty accurate on reflecting engine coolant temp. The thermostat housing has a bypass line, so there is always coolant flow going through. JImChuk
    Great idea. I have this one https://www.amazon.com/Ice-Crusher-M...245488&sr=8-13 which also has a bypass. I'll just put a 1/8" NPT for a temp sensor there.
    John Brannen
    Morris, IL

Quote Originally Posted by 109JB View Post
    According to the maintenance manual, the coolant flows in this order water pump - cylinder heads - expansion tank - radiator - back to pump....
    Of course... thanks for clearing the cobwebs from my brain, John!
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime