Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Salt Fox Build Log

Default Re: The Salt Fox Build Log

Got the all the necessary holes reamed on the horizontal and elevator.

PXL_20201126_111902858.jpg
    I'm looking to do the ribs for the speedster tail and the directions say that stiffeners only need to be used on ribs that you feel need them. Is it pretty easy to tell which ribs need them? Is there anything specific I should look for when deciding which ribs get them?

IMO do them on all the ribs.
    Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

I was leaning that way, just wanted to confirm! Thanks!

Yeah does not add much weight and greatly stiffens them so when you cover, the ribs stay straight.
    Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

All the ribs, except the ones that lay next to a steel structural piece.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Quick update, I got all the ribs for the elevator and horizontal stiffened and glued in place. Got a bit frustrated and learned a ton doing hysol.

PXL_20201201_181117932.jpg

Now, I'm looking to Varnish, I'm guessing the instructions for the varnish come with the poly fiber covering kit, which I opted out of. I'm looking to find out directions on how to mix and then use the Poly Fiber epoxy varnish. I didn't see any detailed posts about it on here, and I'm not seeing any explicit directions in my manual. Thanks for the help guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Fallen View Post
    Now, I'm looking to Varnish, I'm guessing the instructions for the varnish come with the poly fiber covering kit, which I opted out of. I'm looking to find out directions on how to mix and then use the Poly Fiber epoxy varnish. I didn't see any detailed posts about it on here, and I'm not seeing any explicit directions in my manual. Thanks for the help guys.
    I was able to get ahold of the PF Manual from Stits' website. Looks like the directions show

Combine one part EV-410 Catalyst to two parts EV-400 Epoxy Varnish. Let this soup “cook” for 30 minutes. Filter through a 60 X 48 paint filter. Thin two parts catalyzed varnish to one part E-500 Epoxy Reducer.

I'm using balsa to do the airfoiled tips. I'm seeing most people using superfill to finish those instead of hysol+micro. Is this still the suggested solution?
    Last edited by Fallen; 12-01-2020 at 11:41 PM.

Post Re: The Salt Fox Build Log

I built my flapperon tips with Balsa. I couldn't be happier with how they came out but.....
    Given the amount of time I spent constructing them, and how susceptible they are to hangar rash, I would not do it a second time. In the end I would buy the inexpensive tips that Kitfox sells.
    Whatever is used to cover the wood, make sure the balsa is not able to soak up any of your finish paint. I have spots where wood grain is still visible under the paint and then make sure you don't hit it on anything.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

I also used balsa and superfil for the HS/ELEV/VS tips. After shaping and sanding, I used the same epoxy varnish that I used on the ribs. Worked well.

On my Kitfox 4 project the fin and rudder top tips got buggered in the nose over. I haven't done the rudder yet but for the fin, I made a new plywood rib, and then squirted on Great Stuff expanding foam. After cure, I shaped it and applied 2 layers of bi-direction fiberglass cloth. Came out very well and is durable.
    John Brannen
    Morris, IL
    Sonerai IIL (Single Seat)
    Kitfox 3/4 1050 - Rotax 582 (Back Flying and sold)
    Kitfox IV 1050 - Rotax 582 (sold)
    Kitfox IV 1200 Speedster - Rotax 912 UL (project)
    Piper Twin Comanche (Sold)
    Glasair 1 FT (Waiting to start)