Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Salt Fox Build Log

Default Re: The Salt Fox Build Log

I used balsa on the flapperons tips and the vertical and rudder. After sanding to a pleasing shape I coated them with hysol and sanded them smooth. The hysol leaves a hard shell and the paint does not soak through.
    Joe Gallagher
    Flying 7SS

http://frontierfox.home.blog

Making good progress. I've got up to the Trim Actuator done for the horizontal and all the bushings/bearings for the elevator set and ready. I didn't want to install it all only to take it all off due to how I'm going to have to fit the wings on. So, I set the elevator and horizontal stab aside and moved over to the fuselage for now, and got some done.

aside.jpg

I managed to get the pesky right control pivot arm in with some jimmying, begging, and only a slight amount of cursing!

Control_stick.jpg

I took a page from flight chops book and built a small bench on casters with various power tools so I can move it around as needed.

tools.jpg

For the first question, I was wondering if I needed to actually grind down the prefab mounting bracket on the top side. There's no specific mention to do this in the worded directions but it is pictured and I've seen others do it.

mounting_directions.jpg
    prefab.jpg

My second question is how soon should I order the autopilot servos, now that I'm working on the fuselage. If I put in the pivot arms and linkages for the servos (I have the kits from kitfox) is that enough to get my by?

Speaking on the Servo topic, I reflect back on my build. I had to remove and replace my autopilot servos due to inoperative servos. Carl just had to do the same. That process isn't too troublesome but it was a lot easier to do without fabric on the airframe. Then I had to remove one of the servo links to replace it with a new one that I had to build slightly longer. That was a different story. I was very uncomfortable leaning into the pilots space and twisting at the waist while trying to get the new link measured and installed. As long as you don't mind the trouble that the fabric adds during your installation then you will be fine installing later. If you have determined the exact location that you want to install the servo (maybe based on someone elses build) then I would say go ahead and install the mounts.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

re: your question on the prefab mounting bracket - this won't really help much because mine is cut per the drawing but I don't remember doing it. Go figure.

Others with the prefab kit might want to weigh in and report what they have, your piece might have missed a fabrication step along the way.

BTW - check your brake mounting brackets carefully against the drawings - a couple of mine were fabricated incorrectly and I discovered the issue by the mounting problems they caused. Easily fixed but . . . . . .
    Attached Images Attached Images

I would vote for put the servos in now.

Anything can be done in a sense. The time and PITA are factors though. The thought of doing that post covering is not appealing to me at least. I am 6'4" and 205 lbs. though.

Yea, I would definitely put them in before covering, just wondering if it's a pain to put them in after putting all the aileron and elevator control tubes in. Right now, I'm thinking about putting in the control linkages, then putting the wings on, and working with those for a bit. Then revisiting the fuselage later on.

That is not difficult to do what you mentioned. You can search my website for a pic or two. You would really just be removing a bolt at that point and inserting a different one.

I would say that the controls all need to be installed and rigged. The reason I had to build the AP servo control rods a second time was the fact that I had installed everything before I had rigged the flapperons. Once I rigged everything, it changed the geometry on the control rods and servo pivot arm. You could install the servos, just don't build the custom control rods until rigged.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

Agreed that fabricating it all up now and install the servos while access is good. It could be done after covering, depending on your contortion/bending ability but why beat yourself up and use colorful language?
    Somebody said that carrier pilots were the best in the world, and they must be or there wouldn't be any of them left alive. — Ernie Pyle

Brett Butler
    Flying: 1998 Model 5 Outback, 912ul Zipper 110hp, G3x avionics, ss7 upgrades

Default Re: The Salt Fox Build Log--Garmin servos

I see a couple of you had to return some servos on the Garmin G3X. I bought my G3X 2 years ago with the AP, was there a recall I do not know about?