Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rust inside the lift struts

Default Re: Rust inside the lift struts

If I remember correctly the builders manual for my Model IV from 1994 recommended to put linseed oil or tube oil in through the opening on the fuselage end of the struts and then seal the opening with the same two part epoxy used to bond the ribs to the wing spars.

On the linseed oil...or any oil soaked rags...starting a fire through spontaneous combustion (Exothermic reaction). My neighbor is a professional painter. His work van burned up in his driveway and the fire department said it was due to linseed oil on a rag left in a tool belt hanging in the van. I was really surprised he did that. I thought everyone knows not to do that.
    Tom Jones
    Classic 4 builder

Default Re: Rust inside the lift struts

"put linseed oil or tube oil in through the opening on the fuselage end of the struts and then seal the opening with the same two part epoxy used to bond the ribs to the wing spars."

Interesting....I think I'll go ahead and seal mine up now that they are rust free.

I found that some bicyclists use "Frame Saver" to treat to the inside of their 4130 bike frames. It appears that that "frame Saver" is a type of oil used to coat the frame like linseed oil.