Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Elevator Rigging

Default Elevator Rigging

My series 6 has two elevator push pull tubes, one forward and one aft tube. In the rigging instructions in the manual it states that the rod ends of the forward tube should be adjusted to expose 1/2" of thread on each end of the tube. Then the manual says to adjust the rod ends on the aft tube to match the length remaining when the joystick is set at 80 degrees. All other previous set up instructions were followed as stated by the manual, including setting the pitch trim to the 1 5/16" dimension in the manual for the neutral setting. With the 1/2" thread exposure dimensions set the elevator angular movements were way off, to the point that there was no down elevator movement at all and way too much up movement. When I reduced the aft tube to its shortest possible overall length and further reduced the forward tube to only have 1/4" of exposed thread on each end the elevator swing up and down was back within spec. It may not seem like much of a deviation from the 1/2" to the 1/4" dimension but all the other rigging instructions were so precise and right on the money that this deviation seems odd in comparison. Has any one else seen this deviation from the manual setup?
    Larry Olson
    Kitfox Series 6 - 1st Flight Oct 2021
    Tri-gear, smooth cowl
    912 ULS

Default Re: Elevator Rigging

I haven't reached that point in the build yet, but two things occurred to me that might be worth checking. Are the tube lengths (before end fitting installation) correct, and are the end fittings seated all the way into the tubes?
    Eric Page
    Building: Kitfox 5 Safari | Rotax 912iS | Dynon HDX
    Member: EAA Lifetime, AOPA, ALPA
    ATP: AMEL | Comm: ASEL, Glider | ATCS: CTO
    Map of Landings

Default Re: Elevator Rigging

Eric, Thanks for the inputs. I have no info on how long the raw tubes should be unless someone out there can measure theirs and forward me the dimensions. My tube fittings are set all the way in, as one would expect. If you think of any other possibilities I'm all ears.
    Larry Olson
    Kitfox Series 6 - 1st Flight Oct 2021
    Tri-gear, smooth cowl
    912 ULS