Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: EP912STI on a Model IV??

Default EP912STI on a Model IV??

Hello again to the Kitfox Family! I'm about to start my next kitfox project, another model IV. This one i would like to have the most power a model 4 could have and Jason at Edge Performance would love to see what it would do with a 912sti 155hp infront of it. To accomplish this the 1st thing i need to look into is the motor mount. The 912 dynafocal mount from kitfox will not work. I need to have a conical(ring) mount as kitfox has for the 912s mounts on the model 5,6 and 7's. I have a friend a short distance from me that fly's a model IV with the 914 on his and boy does it perform!!! His engine mount came from the early Skystar days that made a "one off" ring mount for Rotax Research out of Vernon B.C at the time. I phoned John M. at kitfox and he remember it but Skystar kept no records on the mount. Soooo my fist step is to check to see if anyone knows of or someone or anything of a 'RING" mount for the 912s or 914 for the kitfox model IV??? Thought it would be a good question before I attempt to get one made up which for me will be a daunting task. Any help or advise from anyone would be muchly appreciated. Thx!

Default Re: EP912STI on a Model IV??

I am starting a model 4 kit with similar questions. What did you find out, if anything? Are you still going with the EP912STI?

Bundy, Well, I'm glad to hear someone out there is thinking "power" in their model IV! Yes I have pretty much decided on an engine from EP but just have not decided on either to go with the EP 914 126hp or to up the anti a bit more and go with EP 912 155hp. I have to talk to Jason some more at BadAss powersports and see how much more weight is the 912 155hp is, can't see it being much more than the EP 914 if at all! I'm really watching my weight through the build as mine is going straight onto amphibs. There are probably other engine options out there but its hard to find anything very close to the Rotax weight which EP can work off of. Other engines I considered was the Aeromomentum AM15 but later found out once completed your looking at close to 230lbs FWF. Also looked at the 7 cylinder Verner Radial but there again at 183ish dry the rotax wins again. I'm still open on any other ideas but 1 thing for sure is that my end goal is for this plane to get ripped off the water!!!

I fly a IV and have a 912 UL with the standard mount Kitfox supplies. I thought about the ring mount just to have a little extra room on the firewall in case I needed to change a starter etc. Maintenance is a consideration when you are the maintainer. LOL. The reason I didn't go with the ring mount was the addition of CG forward would require a larger Elevator, different cowlings etc. If you have ever flown a IV, you know they are perfect with a 912. The extra weight, the extra tailplane size the extra expense ... it was just too much extra for a plane that was still going to be a 110 MPH cruiser at the end of the day.
    For what its worth.

Hi wheels(neighbor), I hear what your saying! For myself this will be my 3rd model IV(2nd build) so this one my emphasis is on my power due to my high altitude lake accesses. So yes with that comes more weight up front. To try to compensate for that I am modifying a SS7 engine mount and bringing the engine closer to the firewall as well moving the battery to the tail, installing larger elevator, and moving header tank back behind the baggage apartment. I presently fly a IV(912ULS) on amphibs with cruises anywhere between 107 to 115mph and that is great I think on floats. I need a turbo up front for 7 to 8k ASL lake landings and take offs. I have a friend with a model IV and a stock 914 and i know how he performs with his so I have great incentive!! Thx for your words!

Freedom2

Freedom2, I'm not going to be flying on floats as I live in the desert but I do live at around 4500' and the extra power would be nice. I've been emailing Jason at EP and I think the 914Ti would be a sweet motor to have on the 4. I'm starting this 4 from scratch and don't mind the extra work and a bit of expense in order to accommodate the the extra power and weight. I am a little hesitant about complicating the build. I'm not a welder and I understand you do need to go with a ring mount for those turbo engines and are hard to come by for the IV. Jason mentioned it might be a good idea to go with a big bore kit and efi... It sounds like you've been kicking this around for some time. What are your thoughts?

Yes the big bore would obviously be the easiest and the cheapest. I know 1st hand how the 914 works in the model 4 as a fly buddy not far from me has one. I haven't tackled it yet but I really think redoing the engine mount is not too much of a task but who knows maybe not. I'm not an expert welder either so my plan is to tack weld the mount together than get a pro to weld it up. If your just starting your build you have time before making the final engine decisions. By spring I'll know the task of the mount. I'll talk to Jason in a week or as I have a few more questions for him. Enjoy your build!

Thanks, I am very excited about it. I really look forward to seeing how yours turns out and the performance you get. You'll have to keep us posted on your progress.

Quote Originally Posted by Bundy View Post
    Thanks, I am very excited about it. I really look forward to seeing how yours turns out and the performance you get. You'll have to keep us posted on your progress.
    Bundy, I'll keep this topic as up-to-date as I can. I'm just stating to work on my mount so we'll see how this goes. Say tuned!!!!!

Go with the 155hp. If you don’t, someday you will wish you had! 👍🏻
    Jeff
    KF 5
    340KF