Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Custom Oil Shutter........help needed!

Default Custom Oil Shutter........help needed!

Okay here is the deal. I want to try using a shutter over the oil cooler. Because we are running the larger oil cooler, the one kitfox uses on the 915, there are currently no shutters being made that will fit. I have pretty good data as far as how much of our oil cooler is covered during the winter time and how much I cover it during the summertime to do the math and figure the correct size I need. (enough surface area in the summer verus winter) With that info I have calculated what size of shutter I need. Someone gave us a shutter that is designed for a 0 360 oil cooler. The design is really smart and should work good, it is just the wrong size. I contacted a couple companies that still make these and they are not interested in making a couple one offs. So I have decided to use their design and draw a larger one up in solid works. I found a local guy that will then cut them out using a waterjet. What I need help on is figuring out what to do on the hardware.

1. The nut appears to be machined into the aluminum with a collar so that the arm can pivot on it. I need help sources a solution for this. The local guy says his waterjet is accurate to .001 and his size of opening he can cut is .035" So I think I can draw that hex cutout in solid works and he could cut it? The collar that extends allows a pivot point for the arm while allowing you to tighten the nut and now compress the arm allowing free travel. Hoping to source something similar?

2. The arm has some type of solid rivets that grab the louvers to move them. I guess I could just use a tapered long solid rivet and not squeeze it all the way?

Any input is greatly appreciated

Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

Default Re: Custom Oil Shutter........help needed!

I don't recognize that nut/collar item, but the "rivets" in the arm are pressed-in dowel pins, like these. Probably also available at hardware stores.
    Eric Page
    Building: Kitfox 5 Safari | Rotax 912iS | Dynon HDX
    Member: EAA Lifetime, AOPA, ALPA
    ATP: AMEL | Comm: ASEL, Glider | ATCS: CTO
    Map of Landings

Thanks! I am wondering if they are custom made as I cant seem to find anything. Its weird how they aluminum plate has been machined to accept the hex of the collar bolt but its turned a bit. Best I can think of so far is a button head shoulder bolt and offset the cooler slightly so the bolt wont hit the oil cooler.
    Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

Looks like a PEMSERT or variant. They have a hex but are pressed into a round hole. The pins look to me to just bee dowel pins pressed into the arm.
    John Brannen
    Morris, IL
    Sonerai IIL (Single Seat)
    Kitfox 3/4 1050 - Rotax 582 (Back Flying and sold)
    Kitfox IV 1050 - Rotax 582 (sold)
    Kitfox IV 1200 Speedster - Rotax 912 UL (project)
    Piper Twin Comanche (Sold)
    Glasair 1 FT (Waiting to start)

Yes, that is a PEM nut and is pressed in (technically a form of swaging). They're solid if done correctly
    Kitfox 5 (under construction)
    Commercial SE/ME, CFII

Following...

Have you modelled these pieces in a CAD software (For the laser cutter?). I'd love to see if I could 3D print something for my IV
    Last edited by 4Hummer; 11-18-2020 at 10:04 PM.

Yes I have modeled the shutter. I am doing a couple sizes and I and happy to send you the parts when I am finished. I am trying to calculate the size of shutter I need. Problem is the data is skewed because I just recently removed my heat exchanger to help with the higher flow oil pump I just installed so cooling is different than before. I need much more oil cooling now. I am going to build some mock test shutters to simulate the shutter open and shutter closed and then that will help on how big the shutter needs to be. I am not going to have the shutter cover the entire oil cooler. May have to go to a louver style. Reason I am not right now is because I have my naca flush up to the oil cooler all around it so it would not fit.
    Last edited by Shadowrider; 11-19-2020 at 11:16 PM.
    Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

I'd love a copy of the cad files, Or even a trace out of the pieces on paper, that I could scan in and see what a 3D printer could do with it

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Page View Post
    I don't recognize that nut/collar item, but the "rivets" in the arm are pressed-in dowel pins, like these. Probably also available at hardware stores.
    I am almost done installing the same shutter on my 912uls. It is not as big as the radiator so we shall see in testing if it causes the oil to heat up to much. I am setting it up so I can install it in a few minutes and will probably remove it in the summertime when temps in the Sacramento area get really hot. It will have a cable adjuster in the cockpit. If your interested, I can send you some photos of my setup when I finish installing next week. G
    George
    Granite Bay, CA.
    Kitfox Light Squared
    912ULS Tri Gear

My YouTube Channel

Yeah George post up some pictures when finished.

I did some testing on the size to make the shutter. The one I am copying is too small so I sized it up some. I am trying to make it have the same amount of surface area of the aluminum plate that I Velcro onto the front of the oil cooler. Well I decided to make a plate the same size as the shutter is going to be and attached it to my oil cooler and went and flew. I discovered that covering the oil cooler more vertically than horizontally does not have as much as an effect. Both pieces are the same surface area but the on that is more square runs 15F cooler the the long skinny one. Make sense after thinking about it. So I have up sized the shutter some more. My plan is not to cover the entire oil cooler, so that full open in summer time will be cool enough and full closed in the winter will be warm enough. If the video works you can see it slightly over opens so I need to make some adjustments to the shutters. I am also seeing If I can size up the openings to make it flow more air when fully open.

Thanks for all your help on the hardware. I looked up a pem nut and they are pretty cool. Unfortunately I don't know how to size them correctly other than buying a few so I decided to go with a shoulder bolt with low profile head. McMaster turns out to have all the cad drawings so you can import them into solid works. Pretty fun learning this program. I thought I new the correct size but took me 3 different bolts to get the correct size, and I didn't have to buy any. Its pretty cool that you can check fit in solid works. I am having fun learning this program and drawing up parts. 4Hummer I will send you the files. Just PM and I guess I just send you the assembly? Probably need to include each part also I am guessing?

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...VmeFVVNzlZbDN3

Last edited by Shadowrider; 11-29-2020 at 05:45 PM.
    Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!