Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Pitot Mast installation ideas

Default Pitot Mast installation ideas

I am going to go with the Dynon pitot tube since it will work with multiple EFIS's. I have looked around to get ideas on how to mount the mast but I was looking for some clarification/ideas.

I was planning on gluing in a 4ishx4ish piece of plywood between a rib and the adjacent false rib and reinforcing appropriately. From what I have seen the mast mounts to this "pad" but a question I have is....does it go in from the top of the pad? In other words, do you install the mast through the inspection hole after the covering is done? Obviously the "pad mount" would have the hole cut prior to covering. Is there a cover that goes over the mast afterwards to "sandwhich" the mast mounting flange to the mounting pad?

Any pics, mast recommendations, suggestions would be appreciated.

Default Re: Pitot Mast installation ideas

Hi Jerry... Mine is just a pitot/static combination assembly that I made (no Dynon), but the mounting plate is pictured below. It's just a couple of layers of wood & aluminum with nutplates for mounting the mast. The assembly is bonded to the rib & aluminum stringer tube with Hysol. The layering of the assembly was to bring it level with the surface of the fabric. I hope that might give you some ideas with what you need to do.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

Jerry

The Dynon mast does mount from the inside of the wing thru the mounting plate while the attaching bolts come from outside. I covered the bottom ( Oratex) and then installed mast and plumbing before covering top.There is no "sandwich" plate unless of course you come up with your own plan. FYI unless Dynon has changed things, according to the install instructions, the pitot side will work will different EFIS systems but the AOA side only works with Dynon or Advanced Flight System units.

Rick

Thanks John and Rick.

So, Rick, how is the bottom finished out? As in where the mast comes through the fabric? Do you see the mounting screws underneath or are they under the fabric?

I was working on this today. I was told to add extra bracing as stick and rudder has had them come loose when people bump the heads on them. Have these extra parts that came with the kit. Ordering the mast from kitfox gets you a second set. The Dynon AOA has its own tubes with the pitot.
    Starfox

Jerry

On mine, the mounting screws are visible. I was going to countersink them and have the reinforcing patch cover them but just took the easy route. I made the fit between the mast and mounting plate tight and cut out the fabric after it was attached so the fit is almost perfect.

Rick

One thing to consider is using the lift strut as extra protection for the pitot tube. If you relocate the pitot tube to the inside of where the lift strut attaches to the wing, people are less likely to bump into the tube and mast. Just make sure you position it in far enough that the tube will not interfere with the strut, both physically and aerodynamically.
    John Grueter
    N188LR
    Kenosha, WI
    Series 7 Super Sport - flying!

Thanks everyone. This is what I was looking for.

Even with the screws exposed it still looks clean.

I was thinking about mounting it on the inboard side of the lift strut. On my KF 4 it was outside and I definatley had a habit of whacking it often.

I am waiting on GRT for an answer on the Dynon brand compatibiltiy. MGL recommended the Dynon Pitot and if I end up going with Garmin, the Mast will work so I'll have options.