Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Shortfielder's intro. to Kitfoxing

Default Shortfielder's intro. to Kitfoxing

Gary flew down from Durango,Co in his vintage 1956 180 Cessna to DVT today to get some seat time in a Kitfox. Gary left zero degrees and 2 feet of snow on the ground to 70 degrees and brutal sunshine.
    Gary's Kitfox adventure 1-9-10 003.jpg
    We hopped over to Glendale GEU to pick up Col. E.T. Holm in his Model 4 Speedster. Two ship launch for Thunder Ridge (home of the Desert Fox Squadron) where Gary jumped into the left seat of the Speedster with E.T.
    Gary's Kitfox adventure 1-9-10 006.jpg

A little local flying around the foothills North of Thunder Ridge then South 28 miles to Buckeye for some fuel and some Kitfox talk on the ramp standing in what can only be described as perfect Arizona winter weather. Wishing all you guys in cold places could have had a day like we experienced. This is the pay off for those 110 degree days I guess.
    Gary's Kitfox adventure 1-9-10 016.jpg
    Gary's Kitfox adventure 1-9-10 015.jpg

Gary jumped back in with me and we parted ways with E.T. A little river flying on the way back up towards Wickenburg then some foothills play then some higher altitude slow flight and stall demonstrations along with some "Kitfox" turns. Back to Deer Valley just before sunset then home for some great tasting Elk burgers courtesy of Gary. Watched One Six Right on the big screen after some football. Not bad. Today we will do it all over again. Maybe we can put a four ship contigency together this morning. We'll see who shows up. Have a great day guys and stay warm.
    Gary's Kitfox adventure 1-9-10 004.jpg

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

Default Re: Shortfielder's intro. to Kitfoxing

Thanks for the great report. It's -6F here, up from -13F last week.
    Steve Wilson
    Huntsville, UT
    Kitfox 85DD
    912A / 3 Blade Taper Tip Warp Drive
    Convertible Nosewheel & Tailwheel
    SkySteve's SPOT Page
    SkySteve's You Tube Videos

awesome~!! I've been rummaging around for my bermuda shorts ,..we went from -3 to 30 above~!! it's a heat wave~!! firing up the grill for semi frozen burgers~! I'll wrap heat tape around the condements ha ha

great report...makes one druell...one day I am flying my way south in my Fox to meet the desert fox gang...looks like you have a great group and awesome weather when we are freezing...super pictures...thanks

Default Re: Shortfielder's intro. to Kitfoxing Chapter 2

Gary's Kitfox adventure 1-10-10 005.jpg

Gary's Kitfox adventure 1-10-10 004.jpg

Gary's Kitfox adventure 1-10-10 007.jpg

Gary's Kitfox adventure 1-10-10 010.jpgGary and I started the morning with a good breakfast then out to the airport. Waited for Mike Bergland to arrive and show Gary his two model 5 Kitfox's. One is a model 5 with a 6 cylinder Jabiru on amphib. floats. The other a Vixen with a 912S. Gary did get to try on the 5 for fit and comfort.

Mike was unable to fly with us this morning so we launched for Thunder Ridge to meet up with Phil Laker in his 7 Super Sport. E.T. Holm called and had to cancel so it would be another two ship flight. Phil was very kind to let me take Gary up in the Super Sport for a nice flight up around the foothills North of Thunder Ridge then a quick shot down the Hassaumpa River to see a minature version of the Homedale,Id contingency's canyon flying. Back to Thunder Ridge to give Phil his Super Sport back.

I know I've said it before but I'm saying it again. The Kitfox 7 Super Sport has really evolved into a great flying and a very refined and comfortable aircraft that feels right at home in the busiest congested airspace or out in the backcountry exploring the beauty of a challeging mountain strip others only dream of visiting. Every time I get to fly one I'm more convinced Kitfox Aircraft has not just hit a home run but have hit the grand slam and won the championship with this model. You about to be 7 SS builders are in for a real treat on your first flights. I'm envious.

We load Gary once again into my model 4 and head to Phoenix Regional (A39) to visit another member of the Desert Fox Squadron, Stan Foster, who had to work today and couldn't come out to play Kitfox.
    Phil blasted off for Chandler and Gary and myself departed for Deer Valley and wound our way through some of the busiest airspace in Arizona.
    Gary had an appointment with an A&P in Sedona, AZ for his annual so he departed Deer Valley Airport and headed for the beautiful red rocks.
    A big thanks to E.T. Holm, Phil Laker, Mike Bergland and the weather gods for a perfect weekend. 68 degrees and light breezes. A very high thin cloud layer kept us from reaching the low to mid 70's.
    It's always a joy to introduce a good pilot to the vertues of the Kitfox. I think Gary's Kitfox grin says it all.
    Gary's Kitfox adventure 1-10-10 001.jpg
    Now he just needs to find that Kitfox to call his own and he'll truley be one of us.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

Looks like the "Kitfox Grin" has already taken root to me