Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Desser Aero Classic tires

Default Desser Aero Classic tires

Does anybody have these 8.50's (smooth) on their A/C , and know what the wear indicators are depth wise when new and what should be the replacement depth.
    I have gone 7 years and about 700+ landings but mostly on grass and still looking good but starting to consider if I should change to new. Jeff, N Idaho

Default Re: Desser Aero Classic tires

I just put these on mine on Saturday. They look good on the airplane but I can't speak for the wear yet.
    John Grueter
    N188LR
    Kenosha, WI
    Series 7 Super Sport - flying!

Thumbs up Re: Desser Aero Classic tires

Over three years with a set on my Citabria. Several hundred landings, 80% on pavement and I would say at least 100 of those landings are dual instruction (read: abused).

They've got another year in them for sure. The wear indicators are all pretty equal too.

If your seven year old tires aren't cracking I would keep running them
    Kitfox 5 (under construction)
    Commercial SE/ME, CFII

Default Re: Desser Aero Classic tires

My understanding is that the wear indicators can be worn till they are gone. If the rubber is still in good shape and no chord is showing they are still good to go, but it would be best to install new ones when the wear indicators have disappeared. Make sure you rotate them a few times to get maximum life. Usually UV light is what damages tires if they are not getting a lot of fight time & landings and keeping a plane hangared really helps.

I've had mine for 5 years and have over 900 landings. Over 50% of my landings has been on pavement. I am planning on rotating them for the first time at my next inspection. I think the outboard side is around 50% worn at this point, but the inboard is almost 100% of the new thickness. After rotating the outboard thickness will be like starting anew. There is lots of life left in my tires; 10-12 years and 2000-3000 landings should be possible.
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016