Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: user comments on EXP 2 DC load bus

Default user comments on EXP 2 DC load bus

it will be fresh wiring in the model IV rebuild this winter, and an EXP 2 DC load center is for sale at the airport. Can anybody comment on this bus bar option?

It uses current limiting instead of fuses or circuit breakers.

But the package it came in included paperwork that shows this circuit board is a free replacement, shipped in 2005. The previous owner has passed, so no comments or story line available there.

Default Re: user comments on EXP 2 DC load bus

I have that same one in an RV7 which I bought already built. It works fine, has lots of outputs with faston terminals. Very easy to wire up a new circuit. You can use the master relay and switch already built in, or bypass it if you are doing huge electrical loads for some reason. It also already has the avionics switch built in, with separate circuits for avionics. Taxi and Landing light separate switches, Strobes, lights, alternator, and aux switches, I recall.

Another plus is that you can use it as a complete box with the switches exposed to the panel as one side of the box, or separate the switches physically and bury the box deeper back.

Also, when a short stops the current, there is a tiny amount of juice that can tell if the short has been removed, and it automatically resets........so no looking for fuses like my Kitfox! Then again, with a Kitfox you won't have need for so many circuits possibly.

I'd say look at the dimensions and figure which way you want to mount it first. Installation info:
    EXPBUS II | Aircraft Spruce

I have upgraded a panel on an RV with one of these installed, and wired my RV completely and flown 600 hours with traditional circuit breakers and automotive blade fuse boxes. During the panel upgrade, getting the fast on tabs off, we broke the solider joints on half the tabs. Had to take the board apart and fix many broken solider joints. Also, the top of the board was totally exposed. Any metal FOD floating around could short the entire system. Once you go that route, it would take a significant rewire to go back to fuses. They are a nice idea, but you are putting all your (electrical) eggs in one basket. In my Kitfox i am going with an automotive style fuse block. Simpler, easy to make changes, lighter, and cheaper.

Climberrn, thanks for that report on trying to work with it after several years of service, I'm glad I didn't buy it !!