Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: T-3 tailwheel rigging

Default T-3 tailwheel rigging

We installed a T-3 tailwheel suspension on our Model IV 1050 with a Matco WHLT-8L tailwheel. Still trying to get the bugs worked out of the rigging. Seems to me that the tailwheel will not release to free-castering before the rudder hits the 30 deg stops. I see on the Matco website that the WHLT-8L comes with a 40 deg release point, but can get an optional 25 deg release. Should I change to the 25 deg? If other members with this setup have some input to this issue, it would be most appreciated! Our turning radius sucks right now!
    Also have read the numerous threads on how much slack/tension to have in the chains, but I must be obtuse or something because I don't see anything specific to this setup. Appears there should be some slack in the chains (which I have), but not sure how much. I did look at (more than once!) the YouTube video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QtokU8mIDQk on how to setup the tension, but as the tailwheel doesn't release until 40 deg then trying to set the chains at that point would be way too tight.

Default Re: T-3 tailwheel rigging

Oh, you have found the guy you want to hear from. That same video is what I watched and it is absolutely incorrect when talking about the Matco tailwheel. I had slack and it nearly caused me to ground loop my plane at 25 hours of phase 1. (or more likely I just sucked and was inexperienced). I wrote about it here in my thread someplace. So, my airplane had a wicked shimmy on landing. I spent plenty of time just trying to figure out how the shimmy set up because it was not consistent. Long story short, I replaced my Matco immediately after nearly ground looping it that day. Anyhow, I met the Matco Rep at Airventure in 2019 and I was told that the Matco chains require tension at all times as that is how they engineered the locking mechanism. I now have the ABI tailwheel and probably should have called Matco before I ran off and bought its replacement. I did so hastily that day for having nearly ground looped it as well as the fact I was going to do the tailwheel and T3 upgrade at about the time of my first condition inspection anyhow. The rep also recommended the compression type tailwheel springs, I bought mine when I called Kitfox and ordered everything, so Kitfox is certainly a source for those. I don't recall exactly how much the springs were to be compressed so I will defer to Matco. I haven't gone back to look but I thought I once found everything on their website.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

I don't have the T3 but my Kitfox IV 1050 had a Matco tailwheel and it would not unlock. I purchased the other arms and installed and now it unlocks just fine. Unlock when you want it to but not when you don't.
    John Brannen
    Morris, IL
    Sonerai IIL (Single Seat)
    Kitfox 3/4 1050 - Rotax 582 (Back Flying and sold)
    Kitfox IV 1050 - Rotax 582 (sold)
    Kitfox IV 1200 Speedster - Rotax 912 UL (project)
    Piper Twin Comanche (Sold)
    Glasair 1 FT (Waiting to start)

Thanks! I plan to talk to Matco tomorrow and see what they say also.

Quote Originally Posted by efwd View Post
    Oh, you have found the guy you want to hear from. That same video is what I watched and it is absolutely incorrect when talking about the Matco tailwheel. I had slack and it nearly caused me to ground loop my plane at 25 hours of phase 1. (or more likely I just sucked and was inexperienced). I wrote about it here in my thread someplace...
    Don't beat yourself up. I love my ABI.