Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Fuselage rotisserie (carousel)

Default Fuselage rotisserie (carousel)

Here's another take on a fuselage rotisserie, inspired by AV8R and JohnB's 2015 posts. For the tail end, I followed JohnB's approach of using 1" channel bolted up to the mount points on the vertical stabilizer, but used a 1/2" bolt through the channel rather than welding up a pipe. The head of the 1/2" bolt was welded to a clamp for 1" channel (palaydisplay.com, item 2252, $3.65 plus shipping). The clamp comes tack-welded to a 5/8" threaded receiver, but the threading in the receiver is totally nonstandard and the tack-weld can't handle the weight of the tail. Breaking off the threaded receiver and welding the bolt head in its place solves both problems. Why go the the trouble? Because this fixture now clamps to another 1" channel, one end of which is welded to a steel plate (Lowe's), which is bolted to a 1/2" hardwood board (Lowe's) bolted to a Harbor Freight furniture dolly. This allows me to raise the tail to any height I might reasonably wish, and to roll the fuselage around (in tandem with a rolling front mount). The front fuselage mount uses a heavy board bolted to the engine mount holes; a pipe stand base is bolted to the board, a 9" piece of pipe screwed into the pipe stand base, and the free end of the pipe clamped into an engine stand. As you can see, I'm not much of a welder, but it'll do.
    (Sorry about the sideways pics; can't find a control that rotates them).
    DSC05918.jpgDSC05916.jpgDSC05923.jpgDSC05921.jpgDSC05917.jpgDSC05922.jpg
    Michael
    Cherokee 180; Kitfox S7SS in progress

Default Re: Fuselage rotisserie (carousel)

Nice use of the engine mount stand. Hadn't thought of that.
    I used a bunch of 1.5" fittings and two steering wheel shaft u-joints. When I needed to move it in and out of the barn I put it on a wheeled sled. I could raise the pivot points by replacing the pipe that attached to the pivot. That way I could get the tail to clear and have the fuselage completely upside down.
    Rottisery, Forward.jpgFuselage outside.jpgRottisery, Rear.jpg
    “I wish I knew now as much as I thought I knew when I was 18”

Building Kitfox 5 (25 yrs and counting)
    0-200
    A&P, ATP

I took the simple approach. At the front I used a scrap of 2x4 with a piece of pipe in a pipe flange. At the rear, I welded 2 pieces of pipe and drilled one to mate to the threaded bushings where the rudder hinge heim joints go. This is just supported on folding saw horses and at the front an extra 2x4 is screwed down to clamp the front pipe. It provides enough resistance to hold the fuselage at any angle and yet is free enough to grab the fuselage and just rotate it.

20201028_130540.jpg
    20201028_130550.jpg
    John Brannen
    Morris, IL
    Sonerai IIL (Single Seat)
    Kitfox 3/4 1050 - Rotax 582 (Back Flying and sold)
    Kitfox IV 1050 - Rotax 582 (sold)
    Kitfox IV 1200 Speedster - Rotax 912 UL (project)
    Piper Twin Comanche (Sold)
    Glasair 1 FT (Waiting to start)

You guys are so sophisticated. . . I just used a couple of saw horses and my wife. Having her help reduced the stress of her jealousy of the other wife.
    EAA, AOPA
    KF5 (N49FK & N36KJ)
    Phoenix, AZ