Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for post re using PEX as conduit from under-seat area to tail

Default Looking for post re using PEX as conduit from under-seat area to tail

A few weeks ago, I saw a post with photo(s) re using PEX as conduit for the wires running to the tail. Can anyone point me to that post?
    Thanks -- Michael
    Michael
    Cherokee 180; Kitfox S7SS in progress

Default Re: Looking for post re using PEX as conduit from under-seat area to tail

Pex plumbing pipe is way too heavy. Use corrigated, slit, wire loom; or if you want something stiffer but very lightweight use the Home Depot, etc. drip irrigation plastic pipe and slit it yourself if desired.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Default Re: Looking for post re using PEX as conduit from under-seat area to tail

Don't know that I ever posted a picture of it on this site, but that is what I did for the wiring going back to the tail on my Kitfox 4. On my Avid Flyer, I mounted the battery as far back as I could, and tied the battery cables to the conduit so it would stay in place as well. Here is a picture of the red pex on the bottom of the fuselage of the Kitfox. Used blue pex on the Avid Flyer. JImChuk
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks, both! And thanks for the comments on weight and alternatives.

In the post I'm trying to find, the poster used white pex and ran tail strobe, elevator trim, and something else. Still looking for that post.

Thanks--Michael
    Michael

Quote Originally Posted by avidflyer View Post
    Don't know that I ever posted a picture of it on this site, but that is what I did for the wiring going back to the tail on my Kitfox 4. On my Avid Flyer, I mounted the battery as far back as I could, and tied the battery cables to the conduit so it would stay in place as well. Here is a picture of the red pex on the bottom of the fuselage of the Kitfox. Used blue pex on the Avid Flyer. JImChuk
    I think this pic has the blue pex, and the red is the battery cable, no? How do you access the battery -- did you put a large inspection panel on one flank? How far forward did you run the pex?

Thanks -- Michael
    Michael

I plan on using the milky white polyethylene tubing like you get at the hardware store. About 1/2 the weight of PEX
    John Brannen
    Morris, IL
    Sonerai IIL (Single Seat)
    Kitfox 3/4 1050 - Rotax 582 (Back Flying and sold)
    Kitfox IV 1050 - Rotax 582 (sold)
    Kitfox IV 1200 Speedster - Rotax 912 UL (project)
    Piper Twin Comanche (Sold)
    Glasair 1 FT (Waiting to start)

Quote Originally Posted by 109JB View Post
    I plan on using the milky white polyethylene tubing like you get at the hardware store. About 1/2 the weight of PEX
    And why have you chosen that vs, say, the split corrugated wire-wrap?
    Thanks -- Michael
    Michael

Quote Originally Posted by FoxTrotter View Post
    And why have you chosen that vs, say, the split corrugated wire-wrap?
    Thanks -- Michael
    Hard to fish a wire through a corrugated split loom if the need arises. The corrugation will impede pushing a wire through, and the possibility that it exits prematurely through the split is there too. Corrugated split loom is for wire protection, not for fishing wires. Technology changes and I want to be able to run new wire to the back of the plane if needed.
    John Brannen
    Morris, IL
    Sonerai IIL (Single Seat)
    Kitfox 3/4 1050 - Rotax 582 (Back Flying and sold)
    Kitfox IV 1050 - Rotax 582 (sold)
    Kitfox IV 1200 Speedster - Rotax 912 UL (project)
    Piper Twin Comanche (Sold)
    Glasair 1 FT (Waiting to start)

I needed to run wires down the the spars for the strobe and wing tip lights. Given all the obstructions in the spars, I went to Home Depot and bought some drip irrigation tubing, 1 inch, I think. Anyway, it was easy to run the length of the spars and created a clear path for the wiring. Once the wiring was where it needed to be, I pulled the tubing back out leaving the wires in place. I didn't use this tubing in the fuselage because only the trim wire is routed back to the tail so it didn't seem like it was needed but, I could see how it would have worked well for far less than PEX both in cost and weight. In my first KF5, I used a piece of 1/2in PVC for the fuselage but, that plane had the battery in the tail along with other things and that worked fine to.
    EAA, AOPA
    KF5 (N49FK & N36KJ)
    Phoenix, AZ

Thanks, Maverick and John! Carrying wiring to the tail and the wing tips is what I had in mind for something solid; the corrugated is useful for stuff more easily accessible.
    - Michael
    Michael