Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Engine question for a Iv-1200

Default Engine question for a Iv-1200

Hello, We just got a model four-1200 kit about 80% completed no engine mount yet but firewall is installed. It came with a new never run although 20 plus year old Rotax 582.
    Couple questions:

How does the 2 stroke handle the temps in Alaska?

Should this engine be torn down and check because of its age or should it be good to go as is? It's never been ran or even completely assembled.

What about the Rotax Rick 670 conversion? Any good? 100 pound 92 horse engine sounds pretty good.

And what is a good engine monitor set up for the 582? Or is it better to use individual gauges?

Thanks I'll know more about exactly what i have when I get it home Wednesday.

Default Re: Engine question for a Iv-1200

I think you should have the engine torn down and inspected. I had an engine just like yours that came in a project I bought. Had a local shop tear it down and inspect it for me. They said the assembly grease was all dried out, and even though there was nothing wrong in side, they didn't think it would have ran for long with out the bearings going bad. I do know that I took the gearbox off before I brought them the engine, and turning it over by hand, the bearings felt rough. I thought they were corroded by the feel of it. I sent that to Airscrew performance, and he said the same thing. Nothing wrong, but assembly grease was all dried up. Washed it out, cleaned it up, relubed it and it was good to go. 582 is a good engine, I've been using MGL E1 engine monitors lately in my planes, they give you all the engine instruments in one 3 1/8" gauge. Built in flight log as well. They updated the monitor, and now call MGL Blaze. I've ordered from this supplier in England, They will ship to the US, and their price is about $100 less then the US price. I would buy from him again. JImChuk
    https://www.parts4aircraft.com/mgl-a...engine-monitor

PS. just looked at that link again, and their price after shipping to the US is $318.56. If you buy from the US, you don't get charged the 20% VAT. US distributors charge $455. plus shipping
    Last edited by avidflyer; 10-27-2020 at 07:38 AM.