Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: SS7 or STI?

Default Re: SS7 or STI?

I have not started my build yet but the Edge EP914Ti is at the top of my list. It's a turbo with FI and costs the same as a stock 914 and even weighs a bit less.
    The Edge products void the Rotax warranty but Edge offers their own warranty that's almost as long. I chose it for the following reasons:

1) Has FI so I don't have to worry about carb icing
    2) Lower fuel burn
    3) Turbo, so full power up to 15,000 ft
    4) Cost is $6k less than 915is
    5) TBO for 914 is 2000 hrs whereas 915 is 1200 hrs since it's a new product
    6) Weighs 40 lbs less than 915is

Choosing between the SS7 and STi is really a matter of mission. The takeoff/landing roll of the STi is about 50% of the SS7 but the SS7 is
    still low at 290ft. The cruise speed of the STi is 105 mph and it's 123 mph for the SS7. For me, I'd like to have reasonable STOL performance but enough
    speed to get somewhere in a reasonable amount of time. For those reasons the SS7 is my choice. You'll have to decide which is more
    important: Speed or STOL.

Victor

Default Re: SS7 or STI?

Nice summary and I have to agree with all your points. One other thing to consider is the STI does better at higher altitudes also. I have had mine up to 17500 and flew no different than 5k. Living in Utah and having no desire to go anywhere, we went with the STI. I am also partial to the looks of STI wing. If you plan on doing cross country flights then I think the 7SS is the way to go. And remember no one ever says I wish I had less power.
    Last edited by Shadowrider; 11-10-2020 at 10:12 PM.
    Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!