Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: adding weight to the tail

Default Re: adding weight to the tail

Thanks! I have a few more pics of the sequence that I left out, but I figured you would get the idea from
    these ones.

Bruce made some nice clamps as well, hopefully he's got a few pics. We were discussing the battery box
    install as well at the time I made these since neither of us was very happy with the factory box.

Jeff

As per a few requests here are some photos of the "dutchman clamps" that I used for the battery tray adel clamp failure as previously post in this thread. For some poor quality photos of the before and after repair search this post on the forum: "SS with continental engine battery placement". The clamps are simply made from 4130 tubing that is sized by measuring the O.D of the structural tube you want to clamp on to, then going to aircraft spruce and finding the tube with an I.D. to fit around that tube. Two 4130 tubes are then welded perpendicular to the clamp tube to accept the AN3 bolts I used to clamp it together. I then spilt the whole shebang in half with a dremel fine metal cutting disc. They are incredibly strong and clamp tightly to the tube with no slippage. As you can see in the photos I added a tab to one and used it for my homemade trim assist kit. Also used for header tank , A/P servos and the battery tray fix. I've been told these were used on many WWII aircraft like the B-17 , so good enough for my Kitfox. Bruce N199CL
    Attached Images Attached Images

Another brilliant fix! Thank you for the pics.
    Quote Originally Posted by airlina View Post
    As per a few requests here are some photos of the "dutchman clamps" that I used for the battery tray adel clamp failure as previously post in this thread. For some poor quality photos of the before and after repair search this post on the forum: "SS with continental engine battery placement". The clamps are simply made from 4130 tubing that is sized by measuring the O.D of the structural tube you want to clamp on to, then going to aircraft spruce and finding the tube with an I.D. to fit around that tube. Two 4130 tubes are then welded perpendicular to the clamp tube to accept the AN3 bolts I used to clamp it together. I then spilt the whole shebang in half with a dremel fine metal cutting disc. They are incredibly strong and clamp tightly to the tube with no slippage. As you can see in the photos I added a tab to one and used it for my homemade trim assist kit. Also used for header tank , A/P servos and the battery tray fix. I've been told these were used on many WWII aircraft like the B-17 , so good enough for my Kitfox. Bruce N199CL

Quote Originally Posted by Dusty View Post
    If you have a pneumatic tail wheel,fill it with antifreeze. An extra leaf for the tail Spring also helps.
    Great idea- not sure why i didn't think of this- I do it with my tractor why not my plane! Thank you!!

Quote Originally Posted by n85ae View Post
    I have 15 pound of ballast in the tail, and it's secured by 8 mock Adel clamps that I made
    out of 4130, pretty sure if the ballast tears loose I have very serious "other" problems

The ballast I have is a 2" square tube filled with lead and that I welded tabs onto

For my airplane with IO-240B it was well worth the effort to install it.

Jeff
    Is this snuck in and secured thru the rear inspection plate? My thought was to run a string from up front down thru the rear inspection plate and zipline a dive weight or two down to the rear and somehow secure them in place to the frame...logistics are still not perfected in my head yet...

I like the 2" tube idea though.....

Quote Originally Posted by jiott View Post
    Install a gap seal between horizontal and elevator. Don't use full flaps; 1/2 flaps work fine.
    That was my initial fix....no joy even without flaps. Elevator gap seal does seem to help a bit, but not quite enough

Do you have vortex generators under the horizontal stab? That may give you a bit more elevator authority as well. AS&S have them in small packs for tail installations.

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catal...?clickkey=8248
    Eric Page
    Building: Kitfox 5 Safari | Rotax 912iS | Dynon HDX
    Member: EAA Lifetime, AOPA, ALPA
    ATP: AMEL | Comm: ASEL, Glider | ATCS: CTO
    Map of Landings

that's my next project both stab and wings

I think I had the Horizontal Stab out, and a combination of through the Battery panel, and from the
    top. The IO-240B build has a big battery access panel right under the Horizontal stab. Not sure about
    other models.

I would not think of any weight in there unless it is SECURELY tied down. I know at least one kitfox
    <builder name shall remain secret> that was doing spin testing and the entire battery box tore loose ...
    So I would say you want something very strong holding it.

Vortex generators might help, but proper balance is probably the better choice. I can tailwheel first
    N85AE without any difficulty, and never have Elevator authority issues and I have an IO-240B

Quote Originally Posted by brilenz View Post
    Is this snuck in and secured thru the rear inspection plate? My thought was to run a string from up front down thru the rear inspection plate and zipline a dive weight or two down to the rear and somehow secure them in place to the frame...logistics are still not perfected in my head yet...

I like the 2" tube idea though.....