Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Reaming the bushings

Default Reaming the bushings

Hey guys,

I officially joined the group 2 weeks ago when I got my Kitfox STi kit. Any suggestions on how to do the reaming on the 5 centered bushings? Using vise grip like it says in the manual makes it hard to keep it centered.
    I purchased a wrench which is thin (
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07MV4BWSK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1) and I thought it will work to make the reamer centered and still not hit the horizontal stabilizer's tube, but inside diameter is too small for the 0.4375 reamer.
    Also, did you use any oil while reaming?

Thanks,
    Motti

Default Re: Reaming the bushings

Are you PULLING the reamer thru? This helps a lot to keep it centered compared to pushing it thru.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

I ground the edge of my reamer down to a square and got a small ratcheting handle. Google and they will turn up.

Can do by hand but I like to collect tools.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Gyros-0-...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

I believe it is recommended to use cutting oil whenever you ream. I ground the end of the reamer so that a socket will grab on then I used multiple extensions to reach from the end of the stabilizer. Whenever I could pull a reamer I did as Jim suggests.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

I situations like these, I just weld a rod to the shank of the reamer or drill. Have done it many times and works great. Use a rod the same diameter as the shank and then use a piece of angle with the reamer and rod in the V of the angle to keep them aligned and weld them together.
    John Brannen
    Morris, IL
    Sonerai IIL (Single Seat)
    Kitfox 3/4 1050 - Rotax 582 (Back Flying and sold)
    Kitfox IV 1050 - Rotax 582 (sold)
    Kitfox IV 1200 Speedster - Rotax 912 UL (project)
    Piper Twin Comanche (Sold)
    Glasair 1 FT (Waiting to start)

Quote Originally Posted by 109JB View Post
    I situations like these, I just weld a rod to the shank of the reamer or drill. Have done it many times and works great. Use a rod the same diameter as the shank and then use a piece of angle with the reamer and rod in the V of the angle to keep them aligned and weld them together.
    This is a very good way to do it because they need to be line bored so to speak because they are welded a little off which shows up later when you are ready to mount the elevator.
    Harlan and Susan Payne
    Sold Piper Archer
    Flying FarmFox STI Kitfox N61HP
    Rotax 915is, Airmaster prop
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5A...oCVUP15G0uB-Yw

Quote Originally Posted by jiott View Post
    Are you PULLING the reamer thru? This helps a lot to keep it centered compared to pushing it thru.
    Pulling the reamer worked better. I also used a wider vise grip which held the reamer better. Thanks for your advise!

Thanks for your help guys!
    I ended up using most of the advises :-)
    Pulling the reamer helped keep them centered. When I used a wider vise grip it worked. The first on I used was too narrow and it just didn't work well.
    I used the T handle for the ones I got easy access to and it worked perfect.
    For the ones in the center I used a drill with the extension connected to the reamer and turned it slowly.

Thanks,
    Motti