Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: jabiru 3300 or 912

Default Re: jabiru 3300 or 912

For the "what it is worth" dept,a while back I talked to one of the guys at Just Aircraft at an airshow up in the mountains of NC. They had a Jab 3300 installed in their Highlander for testing and had just flown in. I asked how it was working out . He said it was a good strong engine but it did have a tendency to overheat when it was warm out so they were "step climbing" it to keep the temps down. But he also mentioned that they were working on the baffling to try to control that.
    You might give Troy a call at Just aircraft to see how it is working out. I think overall they are pleased with that engine.
    Dick Maddux
    Fox 4
    912UL
    Pensacola,Fl

Default Re: 3300 or 912

I mentioned that I had no cooling issues with my 2200 but had to be careful on a really hot day. Installation of an oil cooler stopped that but most builders do not put enough underpressure opening on their cowls.

I enlarged my lower cowl area way more than I thought I needed and faired it so as not to create a vacuum. After that and the cooler, absolutely no problem, in fact, I had to install a thermostat to keep the engine up to temp on a cool day.

I am helping a friend build a Lightning in Marana, AZ. It uses a 3300. Greg Hobbs, the distributor indicates that there are NO cooling problems on his planes.

Considering the dust you would have to spend on a 912, I think I would go with the Jab.

Pete
    Last edited by lbushrod; 04-11-2009 at 08:30 AM.