Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to aviation and bush planes, looking for inspiration!.

Default New to aviation and bush planes, looking for inspiration!.

Hey everyone, my name is Chris and this is my first post here.

I'm a low-time student pilot (just shy of 20 hrs logged, only flying 172's), and hope to have my cert by the end of the year. I currently live full-time in Costa Rica (avid surfer here) and have been training in SoCal and Boulder, Co, and not surprisingly it's been taking a while...I intended to devote this last year to getting my PPL, but we all know how that went...

My ultimate plan is to have a bush plane down here, and besides just flying for the joy of it my intention is to be able to fly to different surf spots - I just can't get my head around driving long distances here anymore, and since there's still a fair bit of open spaces here (for now at least ), I'd like to be able to enjoy it while it's still relatively uncrowded. Also on the table is that my wife and I are also looking to have a 2nd home, quite possibly in Ca. so there is that too.

All this brings me to why I'm here - I don't know anyone who flies! I've been plugging away at this for a while, and realized that I have nobody to hang with that's into flying, let alone flying bushplanes...in other words a mentor! I've been getting kinda demoralized, as I haven't even been up in a taildragger yet (I'm actually considering training in one), let alone a Kitfox or Highlander.

I'm planning to be Stateside within a month or so, and would love to connect with anybody that might be willing help a fella get some exposure. Fwiw, I'm no stranger to the mechanical side of things so I'm quite happy to help out - fair exchange and all that ya know.

So thanks for reading all this, and let me know if you're feeling mentor-ish...

You can email me at guitarchris506@musician.org, or I can phone you if that works as well.

Thanks!

Default Re: New to aviation and bush planes, looking for inspiration!.

Identifying a Kitfox as a bush plane tells me you've been watching a lot of videos. Real bush planes work for a living and are generally less flashy planes like a C206.

With that out of the way, I'm going to PM you contact information of a guy named Larry Larrabure who owns a nicely equipped C182, tail number TI-ABE. He flew it extensively in Costa Rica, then here in the US and recently ferried the plane back there (and bought a nice C170 to fly here in the upper left corner of the US).

Super nice guy who can mentor you in choosing a plane for Costa Rica. He flies a LOT including idaho, river bars etc. Yes, with a C182

Not saying a Kitfox won't serve your purpose but if it's advice you want he's a great resource.
    Kitfox 5 (under construction)
    Commercial SE/ME, CFII

This is one of Larry's videos.
    Commercial SE/ME, CFII

Default Re: New to aviation and kitplanes, looking for inspiration!.

Quote Originally Posted by alexM View Post
    Identifying a Kitfox as a bush plane tells me you've been watching a lot of videos. Real bush planes work for a living and are generally less flashy planes like a C206.

With that out of the way, I'm going to PM you contact information of a guy named Larry Larrabure who owns a nicely equipped C182, tail number TI-ABE. He flew it extensively in Costa Rica, then here in the US and recently ferried the plane back there (and bought a nice C170 to fly here in the upper left corner of the US).

Super nice guy who can mentor you in choosing a plane for Costa Rica. He flies a LOT including idaho, river bars etc. Yes, with a C182

Not saying a Kitfox won't serve your purpose but if it's advice you want he's a great resource.

Hey thanks Alex for responding.

Yeah, you got me on that one...guilty as charged. I reckon I need to correct my title...

I have spoken with Larry before, really nice guy, and I've enjoyed many of his Backcountry 182 videos. He also offered to take me up while down here, but I've not had the time, as he's a good 5 hours away. Fwiw, I think I'm pretty sold on a Kitfox (or similar), as they can be kept in a trailer...there's no hanger space at the municipal airport here, plus driving up there each time is deal breaker as I'm around 2 hrs. away.

Since I'm planning to at least bite off a big chunk of hours when I go back Stateside, I was hoping to meet up with someone who'd be willing to take me up, as well as just maybe get some real-world exposure to Kitfoxes and/or Highlanders, as though I'm not really interested in building one, I definitely intend to get my hands dirty servicing/repairing/modifying one.

Thanks again for chiming in Alex...I appreciate it!

LOL, I was just curious.
    A bush airplane is a general aviation aircraft used to provide both scheduled and unscheduled passenger and flight services to remote, undeveloped areas, such as the Canadian north or bush, Alaskan tundra, the African bush, Amazon rainforest or the Australian Outback. Wikipedia

Except for maybe the Amazon, we have representation for Kitfoxes on this forum from every one of those locals. I guess I watch too many videos as well.

Chris, you mention 'stateside'. That is a very large geography so I wonder if nobody is replying since its a crap shoot as to whether they can help. Someone always replies if they know they are in the neighborhood. Im in Southern CA so if it is there that you will be visiting again, feel free to private message me.
    Eddie
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

For my part I'm guilty of not know that you can get 5 hours from anywhere in Costa Rica (thought it was smaller than that). But yes, letting us know what part of the US you are visiting would probably get more invitations to fly.

I just sold my Citabria and still feverishly building my Kitfox, otherwise I'd invite you to visit here.

Obviously you're not going to find anyone here trying to talk you out of owning a Kitfox. I was really just taking a friendly poke at the notion of a little two seat plane being used to haul a moose out of the back country.

If you don't get any takers and you are visiting anywhere near Idaho I can highly recommend Stick & Rudder for some Kitfox flying. I only got the "front country" route because it was too early in the year for the back country, but it was still a lot of fun and very challenging.
    Commercial SE/ME, CFII

I didn't know anyone willingly moved TO California.

Quote Originally Posted by efwd View Post
    LOL, I was just curious.
    A bush airplane is a general aviation aircraft used to provide both scheduled and unscheduled passenger and flight services to remote, undeveloped areas, such as the Canadian north or bush, Alaskan tundra, the African bush, Amazon rainforest or the Australian Outback. Wikipedia

Except for maybe the Amazon, we have representation for Kitfoxes on this forum from every one of those locals. I guess I watch too many videos as well.

Chris, you mention 'stateside'. That is a very large geography so I wonder if nobody is replying since its a crap shoot as to whether they can help. Someone always replies if they know they are in the neighborhood. Im in Southern CA so if it is there that you will be visiting again, feel free to private message me.
    Eddie
    Yeah, it's a big place alright...I'm actually from LA, and plan on being up there as early as a month from now...I might just have to look you up! ...so how the heck does a guy pm someone here anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by alexM View Post
    For my part I'm guilty of not know that you can get 5 hours from anywhere in Costa Rica (thought it was smaller than that). But yes, letting us know what part of the US you are visiting would probably get more invitations to fly.

I just sold my Citabria and still feverishly building my Kitfox, otherwise I'd invite you to visit here.

Obviously you're not going to find anyone here trying to talk you out of owning a Kitfox. I was really just taking a friendly poke at the notion of a little two seat plane being used to haul a moose out of the back country.

If you don't get any takers and you are visiting anywhere near Idaho I can highly recommend Stick & Rudder for some Kitfox flying. I only got the "front country" route because it was too early in the year for the back country, but it was still a lot of fun and very challenging.
    I was thinking about Stick and Rudder...thanks!

Fwiw, I'm actually wondering if I should just transfer over to a tailwheel aircraft now while I'm still pretty low-time, as I'm pretty sure that's what I'll be flying anyway...thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Scott View Post
    ...so how the heck does a guy pm someone here anyway?
    Click on the person's name to the left of their post, then click on "Private Message." Or, at the top of the page click on "Private Messages," then "Send New Message" and type in their username.
    Eric Page
    Building: Kitfox 5 Safari | Rotax 912iS | Dynon HDX
    Member: EAA Lifetime, AOPA, ALPA
    ATP: AMEL | Comm: ASEL, Glider | ATCS: CTO
    Map of Landings