Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: N36KJ Flies First Time

Default Re: N36KJ Flies First Time

Common problem Fred. Likely needed better strain relief on those wires in it’s previous life. Secure both electronic module wiring after your repair. Pretty windy inside that cowling.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

Good idea Steve. Any one have a ingenious solution to this enigma? Some way of reducing the vibration on these wires?
    EAA, AOPA
    KF5 (N49FK & N36KJ)
    Phoenix, AZ

I am still having a slight tendancy to role to the left. My inclination is turn the front rod end out one turn. What are your thoughts?
    EAA, AOPA
    KF5 (N49FK & N36KJ)
    Phoenix, AZ

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Scott View Post
    I was thinking about Stick and Rudder...thanks!

Fwiw, I'm actually wondering if I should just transfer over to a tailwheel aircraft now while I'm still pretty low-time, as I'm pretty sure that's what I'll be flying anyway...thoughts?
    I taught myself to fly a tail dragger in my very first homebuilt that was a single place plane. I was grandfathered in to the required tail wheel endorsement. I was in a perfect airplane to do that. In a Kitfox, I would never do that. If you are thinking you will be a TD pilot, get training in a good TD trainer, if not a Kitfox.

EAA published an article way back when EAA was all about homebuilt planes on how to train for TD pilotage. You get a couple of 2X4s and make yourself a T shaped cart. To describe this, think of the cart as though it were a T standing up. Center the vertical board on the horizontal with a single bolt through the two boards. Put large wheels on the ends of the horizontal board. Put a castor on the back end of the vertical board. Then attach a rope to a point on the vertical board about 2ft aft of the horizontal board. Make you a seat behind the rope attach point on the vertical board. Have a seat and use your feet to steer while someone is pulling you around. Keep the tail wheel on an imaginary line that you consider your runway center line.

After I did this the next step was do this in my plane. I did this on the ramp away from other aircraft and progressed as I became more confident to getting on the runway and speeding up a little more for 3 or 4 hundred feet. After I got used to the rudder becoming effective I began raising the tail and practiced keeping the plane centered for longer and faster speeds until I broke ground. I would then loose the throttle and settle down again repeating this until I decided I needed to know stall speed and kept climbing. Because my first landings on my practice crow hops were wheel landings I did not start 3 point landings until I was very comfortable with my stall speed and recognition of what they were like. After I got comfortable with 3-points, I started adding breaking.

Because my I learned in a plane smaller than my first other tail dragger, a Pietenpol GN1, I tended to over control a bit as it was slower to react to my steering inputs but adjusting accordingly was very quick. What I learned from all of this was the feel of becoming one with the airplane. Yet, never forget the adage, there are those that have ground-looped and those that will. After more than 500 hours of TD piloting I joined those that have recently. Fortunately with no damage to the plane of any consequence.
    Fred
    EAA, AOPA
    KF5 (N49FK & N36KJ)
    Phoenix, AZ

I think about that adage alot. Particularly if I am in a BFE location like Death Valley.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

Hey thanks for the info Fred...seems like a good (and cheap) way to get some tailwheel experience.