Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: David’s STI Build N413KF

Default David’s STI Build N413KF

I am going to run both a thread here as well as a log in the EAA Builders Log site since it generates such nice PDFs https://eaabuilderslog.org/?s=KitfoxSTI so here we go:

Ordered my S7 STI at Oshkosh in 2019 (our whole family goes every year I believe my three kids still hold the record for youngest EAA Lifetime Members the oldest who is now 7 became a lifetime member at 6 weeks old and the other two who are 6 and 3 became lifetime members literally the day they were born while still in the hospital ).

My tires were delivered by FedEx on 21 October 2020 which was a surprise when the driver said “hey I just put two giant tires in your garage.” I had no idea they were coming thought it was the wrong address until I saw them.

My kit was delivered by Stewart’s Transport on 22 Oct 2020 I was stuck flying a trip that day that I couldn’t get out of so my wife, father, and my son happily unloaded the kit along with the driver. When they told me freight was 3100.00 to MA I considered going to get it or shipping via another carrier but in the end it was well worth the money to have it shipped by Stewart’s they handled the kit and took their time as if it was their own.

Got home from my trip today (23 October 2020) and spent about a half hour on paperwork replacing Builders Manual pages with updates or corrections as directed by the factory as well as verifying serial number and just opening up boxes and laying out parts so that they can be inventoried tomorrow. So far everything appears to be very well packaged and protected from damage.

I’m waiting on an electrical connection by the power company (could be tomorrow could be 2022 the way they work) as well as final concrete floor being completed on a new 40x65 barn I built as a build area/hangar so In the meantime I’m using half a 3 car garage as my workspace.

I’m leaning towards the Rotax 915is at this point but obviously have a lot of time to make that final decision.

I plan to use Silver Oratex so if anyone wants to buy the poly fiber supplies that are included in the kit let me know.

I included a screen shot of part of my invoice so everyone can see what options I chose for the build.

Last edited by iflywhatevr; 10-23-2020 at 06:58 PM.

Default Re: David’s STI Build N413KF

Cool! and so the journey begins.

Ralph

Great start! I Enjoyed your backstory.
    The list of goodies on your order sheet are what dreams are made of...

Enjoy!!
    Somebody said that carrier pilots were the best in the world, and they must be or there wouldn't be any of them left alive. — Ernie Pyle

Brett Butler
    Flying: 1998 Model 5 Outback, 912ul Zipper 110hp, G3x avionics, ss7 upgrades

Looking good! Not sure if kitfox is advertising their "secret menu" yet, but a few that come to mind. Static port kit, pitot mounting kit, autopilot servo mounting kit, hinged turtle deck kit, stainless steel door protectors, butt rib close out, butt rib filler. Cant remember the technical names and I am sure I forgot a few. Don't forget you can buy a wiring harness for avionics now and have your avionics up and going in hours.
    Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

Looks like I’m going to have to do some more research on these items! Thanks for the tip.

Quite a few of their optional items that are not shown on the ordering price list are in the Accessories Catalog which you can download.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Another couple that I just thought of. I would also order the banjo fittings for the fuel tanks. Makes it so you can tighten the fittings tight and not worry about the direction the 90 is facing. It may not make sense right now, but it could save you time down the road. One of our fittings started to leak after 100 hours and I had to go back and fold the wing, perform surgery, and install a banjo fitting.

The next thing I would switch is the fuel cap seal. I think the STI is much more sensitive to this, is the fuel cap not sealing completely. Both of our planes would get uneven fuel balance. When its cold it effects it more. I had multiple flights that one tank was completely full and the other tank that was empty. I have even heard of another STI that was venting fuel out one tank while one is empty. What I think is happening is one tank is pressurizing and pushing fuel into the other tank, that the cap is not sealed, and fuel is being pushed into that tank. I switched caps and the imbalanced followed. Switched out the gaskets and we have not had it happen since on both of our planes.

mercedes part number 68832370317
    Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

Thanks this is why I love forums for stuff like this!

I have about 2.8 hours on inventory so far probably another 2 to go. So far everything that was supposed to be in each box has been there clearly labeled and well packaged to prevent damage. No shortages of anything so far and no extras. Who knew there were so many pieces required to build an airplane?!? Lol

My wife didn’t complain at all when I told her I needed to move the wings into the dining room for a couple days while I got tractors and things moved in the garage and inventory completed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

David,

I completed 2 hrs of inventory today. I’m with you, amazing how many parts there are. I went with quite a few options per recommendation of others. (Thanks Dustin) I’m hoping to finish up inventory this week. So far everything is as marked. I plan to create my STi build log tomorrow.