Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: David’s STI Build N413KF

Default Re: David’s STI Build N413KF

So me the little bit of the fuselage so far has been a lot more fun than messing with ribs!

Lots of work on the Flap and Aileron bellcranks, the bellcrank idlers for the aileron and elevators are on as well as the flap handle. Overall everything is moving along nicely only difficulty was on the aileron idler bellcrank somehow I ended up damaging the thread on the bolt while trying to position the part so ended up delaying progress for a few days while waiting for a replacement from aircraft spruce. The most difficult part of this portion of the build is trial and error testing whether to use the “thin” washer or the regular one to get the proper fit without any excessive play. Having a ton of fun with it and feel like I’m actually getting something accomplished.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Making some slow progress on the project while enjoying one of the best snowmobile seasons we’ve had in years.

Elevator and flap push tubes are installed their full length. Floor has been fitted, drilled, and varnished I have all the parts pulled for starting on the center console.

I was pleasantly surprised that the floor pieces required very little trimming (just on a couple corners) to achieve a proper fit. Clecos and spring clamps were very helpful for the final fitting and drilling. I applied two coats of epoxy one reduced and one full thickness which seems to have turned out well.

Got the center console brackets installed for the flap handle and adjustable rudder pedals. I had to file down the notches on the flap handle bracket quite a bit to get the flap handle locking button too be easily moveable (and what I consider to be appropriate in “feel”). The brackets as they came from the factory were simply too close in tolerance. This portion was fun but took a lot of spring clamps and lots rechecking positioning before finally drilling, hysoling and riveting in place. Pulled all the parts for the adjustable rudder pedals and brake install which is next on the list.

Really nice close up pics! They show everything in great detail. iPhone has one remarkable camera.
    Somebody said that carrier pilots were the best in the world, and they must be or there wouldn't be any of them left alive. — Ernie Pyle

Brett Butler
    Flying: 1998 Model 5 Outback, 912ul Zipper 110hp, G3x avionics, ss7 upgrades

Started on the rudder pedals last night. First step was fabricating the retention straps for the four pulleys. Took about 2 hours of actual work ..... I didn’t count the 5 hours in the emergency room for some stitches in my finger.... live and learn. I don’t have a drill press and was making do with a hand drill and on drilling the second hole in the strap material the 1/4 drill bit slipped went into my finger nicked the bone and shoved some aluminum shavings in there. Yes embarrassing felt pretty dumb about it but they dug out the aluminum shavings that showed up on X-ray and stitched me up and sent me home. I finished up the work today happy to report no more injuries. I did not add the $200 ER copay to my project total. Lol

Adjustable rudder handles are fabricated and installed. Rudder pedals are assembled and installed on both sides and the brake master cylinders for both sides. The rudder pedal were a bit confusing with the instructions jumping from the fuselage portion of the manual to the appendix and back but overall very fun to get this section done with just the perfect amount of mental effort mixed with building! Biggest challenge was chasing down components that were in box 5 and box 6 of the kit but same part numbers and was tough to find them all versus where I expected the parts to be located.

After an 8 month break due to construction on my shop and work. Finally back at it made the move from a single stall in my garage with no room to work to my 2600 sq ft shop that is heated and has all the light and space I could ask for. Took a little while to get everything moved drop various spots in the basement to the shop and everything setup but I’m resuming where I left off routing rudder cables to the back of the aircraft. I fitter the rudder and ensured the measurements between the vertical tail and the rudder were correct it’s there temporarily as will need to be removed for covering and rib work. I started fitting the ribs on the vertical tail and realized I’m going to be short on the birch stiffeners that will go on the ribs to prevent warping so will need to order some from Kitfox. Did everyone stuck with the 25 degree rudder travel recommendation I have not yet messed with filing the stops but will probably be doing that soon as I’m waiting for the stiffeners.

Quote Originally Posted by iflywhatevr View Post
    ........... Did everyone stuck with the 25 degree rudder travel recommendation I have not yet messed with filing the stops but will probably be doing that soon as I’m waiting for the stiffeners.
    You are ahead of me on the fuselage but I do have my vertical and rudder dialed in. Don't file the rudder stops. I did and after installing the fairings and such, had to turn out the bearings a couple turns to get clearance on just that. Now my stops are more like 30 degrees. Then others have mentioned on my build that when they covered the vertical and rudder, the skin required that the bearings be turned out even more and those that had filed the stops like I did, had to shim them to get the 25 degree number back. There was no real reason for dialing in the 25 degrees where the instructions say to do it that I could see after finishing the assembly.

Geek
    Gary (Geek) Phenning
    Leavenworth (Not the Prison), WA
    Kitfox STi in Building Stage

Default Re: DavidÂ’s STI Build N413KF

thank you! I will leave it alone and come back to it later on!