Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: David’s STI Build N413KF

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Re: David’s STI Build N413KF

David,

I completed 2 hrs of inventory today. I’m with you, amazing how many parts there are. I went with quite a few options per recommendation of others. (Thanks Dustin) I’m hoping to finish up inventory this week. So far everything is as marked. I plan to create my STi build log tomorrow.

3.1 more hours on inventory today.

Completed the inventory of the kit.

Missing items:
    91148.000 Washer Flat AN960-10L missing 3
    91064.000 Nut Elastic Stop AN364-1032 missing 6
    Both items from the Rudder Pedal Kit

Waiting on drop shipment of windshield from LP Aero

Back ordered Items:
    98293.000 3M Scotchseal 560
    65-231 or 131 Wheel & Brake Assy Hvy Duty Dual Piston
    98069.000 Valve Parking Brake Grove

Emailed missing item list to Kitfox for replacement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

First day actually working on the airplane! 1.5 hours to pull all the hardware for the horizontal stab and elevator section, try to do some reaming, realize it wasn’t that easy and I needed to modify the reamer as others have mentioned here. Ended up grinding it down with an angle grinder until it was small enough to get a box wrench on the end. Painters tape came in handy to prevent scratching the finish on the elevator and stabilizer.

Not sure why they send a reamer that is supposed to be chucked when you can only really use a drill to get a couple locations (unless you’re ok with reaming crooked) but that’s ok all part of the fun of using some creativity.

Looking forward to my first attempt at hysol tomorrow on the ribs!

I got half of the ribs fitted on the horizontal stabilizer I sanded by hand and went slowly not knowing what I was doing exactly. 7 out of this 9 I added rib stiffeners to prevent warping. The other two are against metal so no need there. It was my first attempt at Hysol ... Mixed up way too much but I guess that’s part of the learning process. I was conservative with the amount I used. Going to let these ribs cure and tomorrow start on the other half but I think with the dremel sanding drums this time now that I know what I’m looking for.

The fun begins! Sure like the black powder coat.
    "Somebody said that carrier pilots were the best in the world, and they must be or there wouldn't be any of them left alive." Ernie Pyle

Brett Butler
    Flying: N46KF, 1998 Model 5 Outback, 912ul 110hp, G3x with 2 axis a/p, Beringer wheels & brakes, SS7 firewall forward, NR prop, Custom paint

Looking good. I cut a slot in my balsa for the tips and glued them on and worked them down together. Worked real good.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Harlan and Susan Payne
    Flying FarmFox STI Kitfox N61HP
    Rotax 915is, Airmaster prop.
    https://www.youtube.com/@KitfoxPilot/videos

Quote Originally Posted by iflywhatevr View Post
    I got half of the ribs fitted on the horizontal stabilizer I sanded by hand and went slowly not knowing what I was doing exactly. 7 out of this 9 I added rib stiffeners to prevent warping. The other two are against metal so no need there. It was my first attempt at Hysol ... Mixed up way too much but I guess that’s part of the learning process. I was conservative with the amount I used. Going to let these ribs cure and tomorrow start on the other half but I think with the dremel sanding drums this time now that I know what I’m looking for.

Yesterday was the first time I ever mixed up the correct amount of Hysol. And yes, the technique of not getting it all over the place takes a few tries. I'm certainly glad it all gets covered up.
    Kitfox 5 (under construction)
    Commercial SE/ME, CFII

CA glue with activator is the key to getting your ribs set quickly. Put a drop and then spray with activator and seconds later they are set.(ready for hysol) I find most guys building are RC guys and know that trick.
    Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

Never touched an RC anything in my life so good tip!

Nice progress, David. Glad it’s going well. I’m right behind you. I just finished my varnish coats on the ribs. Hope to start on the fuselage this weekend.
    Building
    Kitfox 7STi
    Oratex