Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: David’s STI Build N413KF

Default Re: David’s STI Build N413KF

3.1 more hours on inventory today.

Completed the inventory of the kit.

Missing items:
    91148.000 Washer Flat AN960-10L missing 3
    91064.000 Nut Elastic Stop AN364-1032 missing 6
    Both items from the Rudder Pedal Kit

Waiting on drop shipment of windshield from LP Aero

Back ordered Items:
    98293.000 3M Scotchseal 560
    65-231 or 131 Wheel & Brake Assy Hvy Duty Dual Piston
    98069.000 Valve Parking Brake Grove

Emailed missing item list to Kitfox for replacement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

First day actually working on the airplane! 1.5 hours to pull all the hardware for the horizontal stab and elevator section, try to do some reaming, realize it wasn’t that easy and I needed to modify the reamer as others have mentioned here. Ended up grinding it down with an angle grinder until it was small enough to get a box wrench on the end. Painters tape came in handy to prevent scratching the finish on the elevator and stabilizer.

Not sure why they send a reamer that is supposed to be chucked when you can only really use a drill to get a couple locations (unless you’re ok with reaming crooked) but that’s ok all part of the fun of using some creativity.

Looking forward to my first attempt at hysol tomorrow on the ribs!

I got half of the ribs fitted on the horizontal stabilizer I sanded by hand and went slowly not knowing what I was doing exactly. 7 out of this 9 I added rib stiffeners to prevent warping. The other two are against metal so no need there. It was my first attempt at Hysol ... Mixed up way too much but I guess that’s part of the learning process. I was conservative with the amount I used. Going to let these ribs cure and tomorrow start on the other half but I think with the dremel sanding drums this time now that I know what I’m looking for.

The fun begins! Sure like the black powder coat.
    Somebody said that carrier pilots were the best in the world, and they must be or there wouldn't be any of them left alive. — Ernie Pyle

Brett Butler
    Flying: 1998 Model 5 Outback, 912ul Zipper 110hp, G3x avionics, ss7 upgrades

You are started, good luck. Just keep doing one page at a time is what they told me. I'm still at it ..... You learn a lot, right after your done lots of times. haha
    Harlan and Susan Payne
    Sold Piper Archer
    Flying FarmFox STI Kitfox N61HP
    Rotax 915is, Airmaster prop
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5A...oCVUP15G0uB-Yw

Woah the rudder has pre-welded supports now? I was wondering when the airfoil design would become a weldment. Hopefully that gets expanded to all the pieces that require airfoil.
    I saw a highlander not too long ago with a welded airfoiled tail and thought they were on to something great.
    🇨🇦CANADA
    Flying | SS7 | G3X | Edge 912

About three hours today checking the fit of the horizontal stabilizer ribs, sanding, scotchbrite on the frame in the area they would be hysoled to. Cleaned everything up with alcohol let that dry and started with the hysol checking measurements as I went. First thing I realized is that my fat fingers result in anything but a “neat” appearance of the hysol although it got a bit better as I went. I’ve done a lot of painting and caulking in my time which turns out nice but this is a little different working with the angles of the ribs and frame and tight spaces. Cleaned up the excess with a rag with a bit of alcohol on it so it wouldn’t look like a complete disaster but didn’t sweat it too much since my main concern was that the ribs were firmly attached and straight. No one will ever see any of this again after the Oratex is on!

I ordered a 36 inch piece of balsa from Aircraft Spruce yesterday which I plan to use on the stabilizer and elevator wingtips. I’m flying a trip the next couple days so I will let this harden up and then move on to the elevator when I return.

Good luck on the build!!

Hopefully you lined up the ribs on the elevator before you glued those down on the HS so that you are sure they will line up with each other. On mine, I measured like the manual said originally but if I had secured them that way the ribs would not have lined up identically with each other between the elevator and HS.

I did I had to shift the HS ribs in two locations slightly from the book measurements to make sure that they would line up with the elevator ribs and not be blocked by the metal components.

Quote Originally Posted by iflywhatevr View Post
    I got half of the ribs fitted on the horizontal stabilizer I sanded by hand and went slowly not knowing what I was doing exactly. 7 out of this 9 I added rib stiffeners to prevent warping. The other two are against metal so no need there. It was my first attempt at Hysol ... Mixed up way too much but I guess that’s part of the learning process. I was conservative with the amount I used. Going to let these ribs cure and tomorrow start on the other half but I think with the dremel sanding drums this time now that I know what I’m looking for.

Yesterday was the first time I ever mixed up the correct amount of Hysol. And yes, the technique of not getting it all over the place takes a few tries. I'm certainly glad it all gets covered up.
    Kitfox 5 (under construction)
    Commercial SE/ME, CFII