Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Base of Tail vs Fabric. Ideas Please.

Default Base of Tail vs Fabric. Ideas Please.

Hi all,
    I'm having to redo the fabric at the base of the tail on my S7, and tried using a single piece and was unsuccessful in shrinking it down. (See Pic). I am in need of suggestions on how this should be handled. Should it be a 2 piece pattern, split down the middle? Any tips on shrinking it so its taut? Is there a pattern that I should be following?

Any suggestions would be appreciated. - Mark

tailfabric.jpg

Default Re: Base of Tail vs Fabric. Ideas Please.

It looks like you have or had the right idea. I would pull out the excess fabric before making the cuts to the fabric on the longerons that way there's less to shrink.

Looks like a repair using Stewarts System? I would do a quick review of the fuselage covering on Youtube that Stewards system has. Was it the top coat? Make sure you Scotchbrite the area where you will be applying the glue. Not sure how well their stuff works on other products.

At any rate You'll need a minimum 1" glue bond of the new fabric to the existing fabric. I would mark and paint a 1" glue area all around the area you are recovering and let it dry (10-30 min). A big enough piece of cloth to cover the area by about 6" (or more) all sides for hand holds. Only pre cut (Pinked) the top forward section where it joints the top of the fuselage fabric. Lay it in place with the 1" overlap and tack it to the glue on the top of the fuselage with your finger. I would do a wet glue for just the that forward top section and let it dry. Review the Stewarts glueing procedure if this is their product. Working from the front on the top longereons pull the excess down and tack the fabric into the glue with your finger. (if you can't get it to stick well enough with your finger you can use the mini iron at 250 to put a small glue line to help hold the fabric). When you get to the hand hold you'll have to mark and make little cuts to make it fit. A little on the right and a little on the left side. Pulling out the extra. Then up the Vertical by the horizontal stab cutouts. When it looks like you have all the wrinkles you can get out, take your mini iron and make a small heat joint into the glue all the way around to help hold it in place. Then make a wet bond about 1/4-1/2" wide into the glue you put down earlier. Wipe off extra and let dry. The 1/2" that's not adhered will give you some room to mark the fabric and using pinking shears cut off excess. You can now wet glue the remaining fabric into the existing fabric's 1" glue bond. Let it dry. Start shrinking from the center and work your way out, even on both sides. Don't put any glue on the vertical where it comes up from the fuselage at that curve. Start shrinking at 250 degrees. You should have all the wrinkles out with just that heat. Being that this is a repair I would probably put the 2" wide tapes on first then do a little 300 degree shrink just in the middle by the vertical staying away from the tapes.
    Last edited by N14ND; 10-22-2020 at 11:43 PM.
    “I wish I knew now as much as I thought I knew when I was 18”

Building Kitfox 5 (25 yrs and counting)
    0-200
    A&P, ATP

Use 2 pieces joined at the fin leading edge. This video, right at the end shows covering a similar section on a piper. https://m.youtube.com/watch?t=5528s&v=MGpMEuPnM7g
    John Brannen
    Morris, IL
    Sonerai IIL (Single Seat)
    Kitfox 3/4 1050 - Rotax 582 (Back Flying and sold)
    Kitfox IV 1050 - Rotax 582 (sold)
    Kitfox IV 1200 Speedster - Rotax 912 UL (project)
    Piper Twin Comanche (Sold)
    Glasair 1 FT (Waiting to start)

Thank you for the tips and ideas. I'll be working on it again this weekend. I'm sure I'll do better the next time around. If anyone has any other ideas, or pics/vids please post them. - Mark

I was able to do it with one piece, but didn't like the way the tension felt, so I tore it off and re-did with two. Because that copound curve puts the fabric in compression in one direction, and tension in another, I honestly don't believe it's possible to get uninform tension when shrinking, which is probably fine. I will say the cosmetic difference between doing it with one piece or two is vanishingly small.
    --Brian
    Flying - S7SS

Well I went with using 2 pieces and it turned out much better. I still have the finishing tape to do tomorrow, but I'm much happier with the results.
    Thanks for all the help and suggestions. - Mark

tailfabric1.jpg

this is how i ended up doing it
    Attached Images Attached Images

Little bit different situation as you have the stringer down the top centerline. On the OP's airplane there is no centerline structure forward of that section he is recovering.
    John Brannen
    Morris, IL
    Sonerai IIL (Single Seat)
    Kitfox 3/4 1050 - Rotax 582 (Back Flying and sold)
    Kitfox IV 1050 - Rotax 582 (sold)
    Kitfox IV 1200 Speedster - Rotax 912 UL (project)
    Piper Twin Comanche (Sold)
    Glasair 1 FT (Waiting to start)

That would definitely make it harder !

Looks good Mark.
    “I wish I knew now as much as I thought I knew when I was 18”

Building Kitfox 5 (25 yrs and counting)
    0-200
    A&P, ATP